Why do you prevent unlimited level up?

What would you like to see in future updates?

Why do you prevent unlimited level up?

Postby Mscdman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 am

I'm confused at this lack of feature. When there are no updates to the quests, and players have already beaten most of the side quests, there is little reason to play the game.

To keep people playing in between your updates, why not allow for unlimited level ups? I don't understand why you would prevent this. One of the exciting things about RPGs is being able to super level up and kill enemies with 1 hit. It seems this would be an easy change with no downside. So why is it prevented? I get that your weapons only go to level 20 now but so what? Make higher level weapons available later. Just remove the level up limit.
Mscdman

Re: Why do you prevent unlimited level up?

Postby Mscdman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 am

Btw - another thing that botherede early in is why you link your "new quests" to being at a certain level. I would like to see quests be independent of level. That is, why do certain quests only appear once I've got to a certain level? If I wanted to beat all the quests (somehow) and fight vallus at level 2, I thoeoretically should be able to.

It was really annoying that in order for a new quest to appear after I had already beaten the last one was to level up. Why force this? Let users find out th hard way that they need to level up and let finishing a quest open up a new one ...
Mscdman

Postby Lord_Venan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Good question. That particular issue was a big point of internal debate when we were developing the game. And the things you point out in terms of lack of things to do weigh heavily on us. The short answer - that was never our intent. But, what's that saying, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

When we envisioned Book of Heroes, one of our goals was to be more of a light MMO than a pretty spreadsheet game. I think with the typical unbounded leveling of those games, it makes it pretty hard to present deeper content in terms of quests and world development. Also, keeping the game balanced is a lot more challenging for when we introduce features like PvP (which we plan on doing.) So we chose to go with the level cap with the expectation we'd be able to address the weak areas which you pointed out with regular content updates and new features.

I think the big problem right now is that the "elder" game is a bit weak, and our ability to generate updates is a lot slower than we hoped. Obviously games like WoW (and SWTOR to some extent) both keep players engaged at the level cap with deeper content aimed at those maxed out players so there are definite paths towards a more robust experience at level-cap. While we definitely underestimated the sheer amount of work required to keep up with the user base and how quickly we could release new content, I think this next patch will go a long way towards giving players stuff to do once they hit the cap.
Lord_Venan

Postby Mscdman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for replying back. I just think a lot I players would like to be able to level up much more than they can now. We are all stuck at 20. While I respect your viewpoint on keeping things balanced especially and not beig able to have depth content with unlimited leveling for pvp, I disagree.

It gives players something to aim for. When PVP becomes available, it would be exciting to see a player at level 40 and try to battly them while I am 25 and to try to catch him.

Look at final fantasy series. In those games you can level up as much as you want and the story is still fantastic. You guys have a solid story line. It wouldn't e degraded with options to level up as you please. At least in my opinion.

BTW - I would gladly pay for an ad free version of this game.
Mscdman

Postby edward » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:22 am

ad free version? whass this ad inclusive version?? AND final fantasy? great story?? .. so much confusion i haz :(

ps. i like the level cap.. means my lil shadowfoot will get a chance to catch up with ya on the leaderboards :)
edward

Postby Paramagnetic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:03 pm

The only 'ads' in the game are listings of games available for free to download, and they don't come up very often. The only other thing that could be considered an ad is our offerwall, but you have to navigate specifically to that page and you are given Shields for completing any of the offers listed.

We didn't want to spam users with ads, and we like to think we did a good job. Could you tell us specifically what bugged you?
Paramagnetic

Increase level cap to 50 then offer the new Epic Gear Set

Postby storm1971 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 am

By increasing the level cap to 50 to open a new zone designed so experience players can raid for drop items used for Epic gear set, Guilds will be force to take part into raids cause participants will earn coins used for there epic gear set.
storm1971

Re: Increase level cap to 50 then offer the new Epic Gear Se

Postby Roosta » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:33 am

storm1971 wrote:By increasing the level cap to 50 to open a new zone designed so experience players can raid for drop items used for Epic gear set, Guilds will be force to take part into raids cause participants will earn coins used for there epic gear set.

Punctuation and an explanation is required..
Roosta

Re: Increase level cap to 50 then offer the new Epic Gear Se

Postby GhostOfJimpa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am

storm1971 wrote:By increasing the level cap to 50 to open a new zone designed so experience players can raid for drop items used for Epic gear set, Guilds will be force to take part into raids cause participants will earn coins used for there epic gear set.

50 its to match start whit level 30 and new raids for high. Might players after that it should raise level to 40 and long after that 50
GhostOfJimpa

levels- Questing & Level Cap

Postby IceNinja » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 am

I just reached level 25 and seen that is the highest level. Very very disappointed in that. I have lots of quests left and it would be entirely pointless to finish them as my xp won't be.doing anything. I really like playing this game but there isn't anything to do now.but raid. Definitely needs a much much higher level to achieve please post on this if you agree. Hope to see this get fixed very fast.
IceNinja

Next

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions