Inquisitor builds

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Inquisitor builds

Postby Derrin_Watson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:04 am

In light of a thread discussing builds for new classes, I thought I would share my flame warden build. QuestnMark is level 40 and performs well in PvE, and I expect better as his might continues to increase. I don't PvP and can offer no suggestions there.

There are many different approaches to the game, and others will enjoy different choices. This post is to share some ideas to spark your creativity but is no substitute for your own play testing.

QuestnMark does well with a single build. I have opted for a two-handed weapon. The distinguishing feature of the Inquisitor in my mind is the importance of DoT. There are three separate DoT attacks, each one on a separate timer, Virulent Slash, Arcane Poison, and Poison Cloud. The main reason to prefer one-hand over two-hand is speed. But speed doesn't affect DoT. The DoT kicks it at the same time regardless of weapon speed. The DoT with a two-hand approach does more damage than one-hand, and it delivers that damage just as quickly once you land the hit.

In saying that, I realize there are some spells I am sacrificing. Seismic Shield, Guardian, and Stagger are wasted with a 2-hand weapon and shield focus loses one of its capabilities. If I did PvP, perhaps those would be more important to me. But I had no problems building a potent toon without them.

Nature attacks
Virulent Slash 3
Arcane Poison 3 (plus spirit DoT)
Acid Spray 3
Poison Cloud 3

Spirit attacks
Stunning Blow 3
Smite 3
Radiant Light 3
Heavenly Wave 3

Passive
Inner Focus 3
Poisoned Spirit 3
Spirit Link 1
Lethal Poison 3
Amplify Red
Turmoil 3

There are 8 good attacks, and I am happy to employ each of them. I lead on bosses with Virulent Slash followed by Arcane Poison to get the DoT working. On mobs I tend to start with Poison Cloud if I think the fight will last awhile. Otherwise I lead with the faster heavenly wave. Boss onslaughts are a matter of getting all three DoT timers working and adding in acid spray to reduce nature resistance. I find my onslaught focuses on keeping all those balls juggling.
Derrin_Watson

Re: Inquisitor builds

Postby Bbbb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am

That's similar to my build. Once you go 2H, there isn't a lot of flexibility. I went Poison/Luck here.

After reading your post, I tweaked mine some more. I just deleted Heavenly Wave as I never use it. I don't have Smite but have Spirit Strike instead. My experience is that most of the time you get multiple attacks which makes it the same damage as Smite though it can be dodged but it is a lot quicker.

I do not see the need for 3 on Stunning Blow and have the 2 extra points into Spirit Link though that's of marginal utility too.

However, I may not be done with my tweaking but just wanted to post a little thought on alternatives to your build.
Bbbb

Postby Derrin_Watson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 am

I disagree about Stunning Blow. At level 1, my maximum damage shows at 2858. At level 3 it is 6669. It is one of the few stun attacks that packs some punch beyond the status.

On the other hand, Spirit Strike 3 does warrant a closer look. I like the speed, although the double punch procs less than half the time for me.
Derrin_Watson

Postby Kenner » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:41 pm

I can see 2h builds rock when using haste elixer since its easy to keep the stacks going then. Atm my 1h inquisitor sometimes has troubles keeping everything up when something is Resisted once. Imagine being even 30% slower, even haste elixer will result in about 10% slower attacks then a sword. Upside is 30-40% more damage per DoT tick and attack.
Kenner

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 pm

I like this, have to agree on using 2H. Not really any reason not to. I do the same for mobs and boss OS. I find Inq fairly easy since they need only one red gem type, have good mob attacks and to do OS it's literally a matter of keeping your DoTs going.
Illy_the_Red

Postby Bbbb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Derrin_Watson wrote:I disagree about Stunning Blow. At level 1, my maximum damage shows at 2858. At level 3 it is 6669. It is one of the few stun attacks that packs some punch beyond the status.

I did not know that. In OS, I might want that but otherwise doesn't matter.

On the other hand, Spirit Strike 3 does warrant a closer look. I like the speed, although the double punch procs less than half the time for me.

My situation is that when I don't see it double proc, I am kinda surprised kinda like Assassinate not procing.
Bbbb

Postby Bbbb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm

On all OS except TSR P3, 2H Inquistor totally rocks. The obvious solution is to go 1H to get Stagger and consider Seismic Shield and Shield Focus and the ability to react faster. But I don't have the T20 1H.... If pirates will offer that, I will get it and go down that road.

On P3, it is rather glass cannonish. The RPP is really good, but... On any given 10e, I might totally own the whole bar or be on the verge of dying most of the time. I don't think I have actually died recently but had some close calls. That's with maxed equipment, T7 or higher gems, high level of HTs (but not complete), level 7-8 enchants, haste elixir, one offense pot and sometimes dodge or melee resist pot. Bacon in reserve for emergencies.

I've gone all poison except for Stunning Blow and Radiant Light. Rl is not that useful since it appears to be unable to remove Rampage but I haven't found any of the other spirit options to be of any use during OS. I'm considering swapping some crit (39%) for dodge (30%) and pile on the melee resist gems. Also, maybe add some Health to get some extra buffer. I used to have a mage build like that in the early harder days of TSR. The crazy part of me wonders if Leech, Safeguard or LS might be helpful.

Note: I do not think it is a rotation issue. I know to keep AS and the DoT balls juggling. Know which attacks have the best DPS and when to try the interrupts.

Any thoughts? And I hope your solution isn't to run 3-4 elixirs - sure I can do that but that's too expensive.
Bbbb

Postby Turtle_Taps_Dat_Booty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 pm

I've been using leech on my Inq and FK for about 6 weeks now. I've found it very useful. It procs more often than I expected it to and it saves me from spending silver on healing pots. In fact, I find myself selling healing pots because I'm usually close to 99.

Wonder if others have tried it and what their thoughts are...
Turtle_Taps_Dat_Booty

Postby Bbbb » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:47 am

Turtle_Taps_Dat_Booty wrote:I've been using leech on my Inq and FK for about 6 weeks now. I've found it very useful. It procs more often than I expected it to and it saves me from spending silver on healing pots. In fact, I find myself selling healing pots because I'm usually close to 99.

Wonder if others have tried it and what their thoughts are...

Since my last post, I've been running 9 blue melee gems with no crit power or magic resist gems and about 35% dodge. Haste elixir and minor haste pots. Then if Hunter gets rampage, I pop a major dodge pot. It's worked pretty well. I also gained 1% defense enchant and a lot of HT during this time too.
Bbbb

Return to Discussions