Animations

What would you like to see in future updates?

Animations

Postby MemphisViking » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Can we shorten some of the attack animations? Aside from the minor annoyance of having to sit through some that take as long as the attack itself, it's frustrating to be near the end of a tight raid and having to sit through precious second watching attack animations.
MemphisViking

Re: Animations

Postby Chriss » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 am

I was thinking that maybe there should be an option to shorten them but then it's not fair for other players. All players should definitely have the same animations, and to your point the same delays. It's just part of the game. I think it's fine.
Chriss

Postby Marney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah, although I have some sympathy with the impatience the original poster expressed (as a shadow walker, I have to sit through the Critical and Poison notification on pretty much every attack), in the end, I have to agree with Chriss.
Marney

Postby BlackTao » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 pm

I disagree - it should be tunable by the user. If they are a new player, they probably want slower, so they can read what happening. Older players likely want to speed it up. As far as "balance": (1) user tunable means its up to the user if they want it slow, (2) anyone playing on 3G or slow/flaky WiFi already has significant slowdowns during raids, and (3) for non-raid gameplay, I don't see any issue. Even for raids, most people I know have plenty of time to burn thru all their energy, wait, repeat, etc. during a raid. Plenty of time for a slower display/net connection player to catch up.

Can someone give me some more details on how this would significantly impact game balance?? Thanks!

-BlackTao
BlackTao

Postby Marney » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 pm

BlackTao wrote:Even for raids, most people I know have plenty of time to burn thru all their energy, wait, repeat, etc. during a raid. Plenty of time for a slower display/net connection player to catch up.

Under the present non-onslaught system, shadow walkers will always beat any other class in a speed run (ie, using shields whenever energy runs out), even if their might is significantly lower. Speeding up or removing animations would make that advantage even more overwhelming, since they're pretty much the only thing that slows us down at all.

Of course, after tomorrow's patch, that may well be irrelevant. I'll reconsider my opinion after I see the details of how onslaught works, and I've had a chance to compete against my guildmates in the new system.
Marney

Postby Markonian » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:27 pm

MemphisViking wrote:Can we shorten some of the attack animations? Aside from the minor annoyance of having to sit through some that take as long as the attack itself, it's frustrating to be near the end of a tight raid and having to sit through precious second watching attack animations.

Come ON People! Let's ENJOY our GAME! Rein in those Mercenary Instincts, just a bit! Animations are there to make the Game Fun and Interesting! Also, any "Time" in Raids is Combat Time, not "Real World" Time! Onslaught Raids are the Perfect Examples! You're NOT Penalized for taking Real Time to decide your Button Combos, it's only when you DO hit a button that things take off! Unless you're going to Stew about the "Time" in the Real World it takes to make the "Button Decisions" and "That affects my Overall Time in the Raid!" (which is just too Metacognitive anyway!) and that TOO Rewards those with Faster Neuron Firing Times, a Component of Player Skill! Have I made my Point? Let's ENJOY our Game and NOT make it just a "Number-Crunching Exercise--Which sounds suspiciously like "Work" to me! Lol!

Let's have FUN here! It's WHY we Downloaded the GAME and not a Governmental Water Basin Usage Analysis Algorithm, right? I hope......;)
Markonian

Animation Off Option

Postby Ferocee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:12 am

One of the biggest frustrations heard in the BoH community is the length of time it takes to empty Energy. The discrepancy is most noticeable between hero classes. Venan has created a great game that many of us love to play and debate which type of hero type wins out (this is not to debate hero type but rather propose a solution that I believe solves a multitude of problems). If venan created the option (under option menu) to turn off battle animations, thus quickening the battle real time, there would be 3 main benefits to the game: 1. energy is quicker to unload, 2. Class discrepancy vitriol is lessened, 3. Venan retains and attracts new users
1. Cutting animations out of the battle sequence reduces the time it takes a person to unload their Energy...(depending on that person's motives either makes it more fun, quicker format or more willing to work on multiple toons) in addition, raids would be shorter and GS become a more viable use for many players
2. One of the biggest complaints in game is the discrepancy between classes. I understand the SW may never match the Mage (and this is not the post to debate that) but there's no denying the SW becomes more competitive as the animations are turned off. I'd also argue that many people with multiple toons wouldn't have nearly the issues they do with their SW if it was merely quicker and less animation heavy.
3. By making the option to turn off animation, Venan retains existing customers..happier the Energy is quicker to get rid of, new fast raid times to beat, still after the edge of finding haste pots and making their toon the best, and even making that GS burn in a raid so much more tempting and more accessible. Some players who wish this to be a faster game and not spend all day on it (not me ;D) are made happy again because in general game mechanics are quicker. Happier gamers leads to more gamers ;)

I encourage your feedback and thoughts on the issue but more importantly I encourage Venan to think of the viability of this option for sustained success of a great game they created.
Ferocee

Re: Animation Off Option

Postby john12345 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am

great idea. my sw really loves it:) mage/justie will probably feel less difference but will also be happy. just now I'm trying to run simultaneously coc with sw and portal with 2 other toons and its really annoying, mainly because of delaying animations like "poisoned"
john12345

Postby Bbbb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am

Fero, as I mentioned in chat, there is a thread that covers basically the same items: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1815

People who usually disagree even agree with each other in that thread. I don't know any high end players who are happy with the current status of the animations. It really needs to be addressed. I do understand their usefulness for newbies.

PS I won't say in this thread what you asked me to. :lol:
Bbbb

Postby Ferocee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 am

B4 totally disappointing I asked you to type animation _______ and you epically failed :( but yes there are many threads...and the more the merrier I believe to get this topic addressed
Ferocee

Next

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions