Selling Avoidance Gem 2 - NOT A BUG

A list of resolved issues for Book of Heroes.

Selling Avoidance Gem 2 - NOT A BUG

Postby Musketeer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:17 pm

I have two of these to sell, for one Majero's offering 3750, for the other only 1125. I am playing on an iPod Touch.
Musketeer

Re: Selling Avoidance Gem 2 - NOT A BUG

Postby Little_Mike » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:44 pm

One of these gems was purchased for silver and another was purchased with squire's valor. The sell price is based off the purchase price and currency, so that's why you see a discrepancy.
Little_Mike

Postby Musketeer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for the explanation Mike, but isn't that a bit unrealistic? Surely gem is a gem is a gem, and the same quality and type of gem should sell for the same coin, regardless of how and when you acquired it. By your logic the ones you knock off bosses should be worth nothing as you got them for free.

I've also had lvl 8 items that I bought and also been given free in quests, such as the Deathblight Cuirass. Should the free one be worth nothing when I trade it in because of what I paid for it?

It's not that the 2625 Silver difference makes much difference to me now, but having different sales values depending on where and how you acquire something makes no sense.
Musketeer

Postby dragonclan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 pm

I'd have to go one step further & ask Mike why an item paid for with soldiers valor isnt being refunded in soldiers valor since you can trade those valors for knight valors?
Seems foolish, like original poster stated.
dragonclan

Postby Little_Mike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:01 am

The only items that sell for their original currency are pre-1.3 items that were sold for Gold Shields and Hero Tokens (also known as Legacy Gear). The reason for this was we felt that since the system changed so much, we wanted players to be able to regear themselves without having to throw away everything and restarting from scratch. We don't allow players to sell current items for their original currency for obvious reasons.

As for the gems, right now the gems that are being sold for Valor and the ones being sold for Gold Shields (or Silver) are actually two different types of items, and at the moment, each individual item has a single currency value (i.e. we can't have an item be valued by two currencies). In this case, a set of Gems are valued by Valor and another set of Gems by Gold Shields (or Silver). Since all non-deprecated items are sold for Silver, there is a different conversion rate for determining an item's Silver value if its value is originally determined by Valor or Gold Shields. Since there are hundreds of items in the game, in order to keep the sell prices consistent, we determine what the sell price is based off a formula that uses the value of the item. That also lets us change massive amounts of data with a few parameters if necessary. It is much easier to manage one value for all the items which determines both purchase and sell price instead of maintaining separate purchase and sell values. It's not perfect as you can see by this gem example, but it gets the majority of the work done.

That being said, at some point after my original post, we did increase the conversion rates because we did notice they were a bit low.
Little_Mike

Postby Musketeer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the clarification Mike!
Musketeer

Postby Illy_the_Red » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Totally gravedigging, but I'd like a better answer to this.

If I buy an axe with Captain's Valour, then later on buy an axe with Champion's and then sell the original, why can't you get the few thousand valour as a sale price? Is there actually a reason beyond 'it's easier the way it works now?'

Getting 3-4k valour is hardly unbalancing when the item is a) not useful to you anymore and b) the valour conversion rates are so hideous (especially when you get to CV/ChV.

Have the conversion rates or any other part of item prices changed since this topic was raised?

I think everyone would agree that when you look at time spent acquiring items vs price given by Majerio, that we are being fleeced in a way not seen since the famous 2002 sheep-shearing tournament final, where Monty 'What's up with ewe' DuBois won by 16 sheep to 10.
Illy_the_Red

Postby Grnm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:35 am

Ilyana made a good point, however I would still prefer obsolete gear and gems being sold for silver rather than valor.

Silver is a universal currency which buys lots of things and remains useful forever.

If you can sell gear only for valor then you're stuck with valor which has its limits of usefulness even if you up convert it.. I'd rather stick to silver.
Grnm

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:48 am

Grnm wrote:Ilyana made a good point, however I would still prefer obsolete gear and gems being sold for silver rather than valor.

Silver is a universal currency which buys lots of things and remains useful forever.

If you can sell gear only for valor then you're stuck with valor which has its limits of usefulness even if you up convert it.. I'd rather stick to silver.

I don't think it should be silver unless we get a good price for it. I mean in silver (using Majerio's own prices as a reference) we should be getting a lot more than he currently offers for items/gems.
Illy_the_Red

Return to Resolved Issues