August 19th, 2013 - Once more unto the breach...

Want to know more about us or the inner workings of Book of Heroes? Check this out!

August 19th, 2013 - Once more unto the breach...

Postby Darkhorse » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello heroes! With the PVP beta well underway and 1.7 out of the door, I felt it was once again time to let you know what the Book of Heroes team has been working on and give you a glimpse into the future of our favorite social RPG.

Although there have been a few road bumps along the way, we are happy with the way that Raid Finder and the PVP beta have progressed the game. More players are raiding now than they ever have due to raid finder. Over 400,000 PVP matches have been played since the PVP beta launched. Our game is in a good place. We know we have a long way to go to get PVP to the state where we want it, but ultimately we think we have a good basis to continue to improve upon as we move on to "Season 1" of PVP later on down the road. We have continued improvements to matchmaking/queuing and a slew of other overall features that are scheduled along the way to a “final” version of PVP. That being said, PVP is still going to be in beta for a while, so get out and earn those beta exclusive items while you can! With that out of the way we look forward to the future. Lately, I feel like we haven’t given many of our endgame PVE oriented players the news they have been waiting to hear. Well, it’s time to change all that…

I’d like to introduce Book of Heroes game update 2.0! The high level goals for the next Book of Heroes update include the following:

-A brand new game system that deals with the appearance of your character and collecting appearance items throughout the many different facets of the game
-Raising the level cap to 35
-Allow players to further the story that we left on a cliffhanger and finally bring elder game players INTO the Vile Realm and beyond
-New quests, new dungeons, new bosses, and new raids
-A new valor tier (tier 16) with all new items to further your character
-New enchantments and new items to craft
-Other content for players of all levels to enjoy. We’re still working through improving a lot of our less major systems, but expect things like new feats, and guild challenges etc.
-Other minor improvements, many of which we aren’t quite ready to talk about yet but are centered on improving the game experience overall (for example: Quest progress popup text while in combat)

I’ll save previews on a lot of the content based information for the future, but I want to talk a bit more about our plans for collections and appearance.

One thing we’ve always lamented about the game in its current state is that all characters more or less look alike and there is very little personalization in Glenfort. We have a ton of awesome art in the game and sadly a large majority of it never gets used for end game players with the exception the newest tier of equipment. This problem is exacerbated in PVP since characters are more visible to the rest of BoH community than ever. One of the things we want to do is encourage players to earn collections of items in order to earn special rewards or different looks for their character.

The collection system comes in two parts. The concept of this system is to allow players to apply the look of one item to another. The first component of this is a simple appearance changing system. We want players to be able to become more personalized, without losing the stats that they have earned. For example, I love the way the Aurous Stave looks. However, I’m never going to purposefully equip a Tier 10 staff just for its looks. However, under the new appearance changing system, I would be able to change my Tier 14 staff (Solaris) to look like the tier 10 Aurous Stave as long as I also have acquired the Aurous Stave somewhere along the way. However, my Tier 14 stats would still be applied to my staff slot. This is great and all, but we quickly realized that having an inventory full of old items would be a bit cumbersome. We wanted to implement a way to quickly see how many items your character has earned over its long career of adventuring. This is where part two of the collection system came in.

The collections screen allows you to simply and efficiently manage the look of any item you’ve ever earned. You will be able to see how close you are to completing a full set of items (for example: Champion’s Armor) as well as what items and looks you are missing. You may even earn special rewards for completing an entire set. For example, if I earn the look for the Aurous Stave by spending my Soldiers Valor, that look will be forever unlocked in my collection, even if I sell that item later! But what if we took this idea even further? What if we allowed Justicars or Mages to change the look of their character to use the look of the gear that they have earned on their Shadow Walker that shares the same Venan account? These are the types of deep customization we want to offer with this feature.

We’ll be talking a lot more about collections in the future, but for now we wanted to get this information out there so that players can begin to understand the direction we are moving in with our holiday gear and the new PVP beta equipment.

So when does all this come out? When can you expect to see all this new content? Not to be a tease, but we’re not quite comfortable giving out a date yet. We have a tentative release target in mind, which we will be revealing further down the road. What does this mean for PVP? Fear not, we’ll be making improvements along the way and we will be circling back around to PVP once 2.0 has been released! Obviously 2.0 will have a large impact on the balance between the three classes, so it’s imperative that we finish our new content push before we can finalize PVP balance. That being said, PVE is definitely the focus of the 2.0 release.

There’s a lot I can’t talk about QUITE yet, but sound off in the comments with your questions, concerns, etc. and I’ll be happy to answer as many as I can!

Please remember, as always, the features discussed above are a work in progress. As we move on throughout the development cycle, we always expect changes to the ways these features might work and interact.
Darkhorse

Re: August 19th, 2013 - Once more unto the breach...

Postby ARCs_Baddman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Awesome work Venan team can't wait for 2.0 , I love PVP but I love to Rage more about it !! Lol darn SW riposte >:) . Any who Ive been playing since the game was first released and yet I still haven't been let down , this is one ingame app I can say is the best !! Due to the continuos work you all put in an the many players I've come across. Finally I can make my toon different then all others , and 35 lvl cap is great to :)
ARCs_Baddman

Postby Hope_Phinehas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm

This all looks awesome. A huge step for the game.

Excited!
Hope_Phinehas

Postby Nelwyn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 pm

This is the update I've been waiting for.. Collections and customizable looks? I'm so excited!
Nelwyn

Postby Illy_the_Red » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 pm

All sounds great, keep up the good work!
Illy_the_Red

Postby Ekko » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Please also consider of dropping requirements for transfering enchantments. I have a lot of enchantments and I do not want to spend huge sums of fluxes to transfer them to T16 gears. The most frustrating thing is to transfer the enchant for the end game players. Level 35 cap, new storyline, new gears, customization are all great ideas, and I hope a lot of players will join or turn back when 2.0 update released.
Ekko

Postby Linchpin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Sounds awesome! Really appreciate the info about whats to come. Think many pve-ers feel the same way :))
Linchpin

Postby DarthPaff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Once the collections system is released, do you guys know if it will be "retroactive" or shall we have to buy equipment we've previously already had? And what about the holiday items already earned and sold?

These are my only concerns. Great news, excited for the future!

Cheers,
Darth
DarthPaff

Postby BâñHãmmêR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Nice work , can't wait for the release , keep up the good work :)
BâñHãmmêR

Postby Drunken » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Transfer.... Yes I agree. I'm just getting close to where I want to be for enchants and having to transfer is gonna set a lot of us back once again making our armor sets we spent a lot of time and effort making sub par or grind away for the same thing we already ground for.
Drunken

Next

Return to Dev Blog