Forum Software and Post Buttons

Got a question about the game or the forum? Check here!

Forum Software and Post Buttons

Postby Bj_Knows » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 am

Hi,

I do not have a Ravelry account, but several of my friends do. They love the post buttons: Educational, Interesting, Agree, Disagree, Love. A quick Google search pulled up the following Post:

( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... stcount=51 )
“-
You guys should check out what Casey has done over at Ravelry, a knitting/crocheting/spinning site. While there are some things that I wish I could tweak a bit more, it's a really nifty forum design.
. . .
And a great balance between pure discussion and ego-driven ratings is the buttons for each post. You can click any combination of the buttons for a post, which include Educational, Interesting, Agree, Disagree, Love. You can also disable the display of any of them if you want.

-“

Does this forum software support post buttons? can we suggest it to the forum software designers?

Thank you in advanced for your time and effort in this matter.
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Re: Forum Software and Post Buttons

Postby Lady_Katy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 am

Good questions! I'm not sure, but I'll find out for you.
Lady_Katy

Postby Aiyardana » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:57 pm

I admit I am a geek, or a nerd, or a techie... you know what I mean.

I use stackoverflow.com often, and have spent some time on http://gaming.stackexchange.com/

In fact, before I found this forum, I was looking at gaming.stackexchange.com for Book of Heroes help.

Things I like:

1) Ability to up-vote and down-vote questions (as well as "close" them)--so they are easier to ignore
2) Ability to up-vote and down-vote answers (to reduce or eliminate posts that are just seconding and thirding a specific response)
3) Tagging, so it's easy to find related questions (replaces forums and sub forums)
4) Search
5) Filter recent questions and hot questions (no need to drill into forums and sub forums.

I'm not suggesting migrating to the gaming.stackexchange.com. But there appear to be clones that might be interesting and useful to fool around with, assuming folks are interested: http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions ... 7953#37953

Obviously, it is not a forum, in which everyone's contribution is strictly their own contribution (not community-authored). It's more like a cross between a forum and a wiki.

I'm indifferent to this phpBB forum. I don't find searching very useful, and I get frustrated navigating it from the game interface. However, it is a common forum software, and is certainly fulfilling the desired functionality and allowing you to focus your limited GS-driven resources toward the game! Just offering some food for thought.
Aiyardana

Postby Aiyardana » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm

BjofCJandBj wrote:Hi,

I do not have a Ravelry account, but several of my friends do. They love the post buttons: Educational, Interesting, Agree, Disagree, Love. A quick Google search pulled up the following Post:

( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... stcount=51 )
“-
You guys should check out what Casey has done over at Ravelry, a knitting/crocheting/spinning site. While there are some things that I wish I could tweak a bit more, it's a really nifty forum design.
. . .
And a great balance between pure discussion and ego-driven ratings is the buttons for each post. You can click any combination of the buttons for a post, which include Educational, Interesting, Agree, Disagree, Love. You can also disable the display of any of them if you want.

-“

Does this forum software support post buttons? can we suggest it to the forum software designers?

Thank you in advanced for your time and effort in this matter.

Whoa! I just signed up for ravelry.com (yes, I'm a knitter too). They have a very interesting forum. I'm not sure the buttons are very useful unless you can sort by them or see "what's hot" but they have a "radar" feature that is very interesting. You can sit on that page and see all the latest posts come in. That would be nice. Drilling down through a forum tree is not fun, especially if going back sends you back to the top of the previous list.

Ravelry's forum looks like a custom job, and is more general-user-friendly than the stackexchange.com sites. I'd vote this "theme" of ideas up, if there was a vote button! :-)
Aiyardana

Postby Bj_Knows » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 am

Bj_DWR wrote:

Hi BoH Forum,

Since Venan is busy working on BoH, is anyone reading this fluent in Forum coding?

I think this post ( https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2166700 ) means it is possible, but would require a MOD package. I do not think Venan would appreciate a MOD package that would not be supported with each update, but I do not know if I am reading the phpbb Forum correctly. Most of it is *way* over my head.

Thanks guys.

Note 1)

davers200 wrote:
by davers200 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

hi anyone got a link to the like button mod or thanks button mod please ??
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Return to Forum Rules & FAQs