German (Deutsch) Issues - Post here!

Report issues with the different translations of the game.

German (Deutsch) Issues - Post here!

Postby Little_Mike » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Please post any German (Deutsch) issues you may have encountered in the game. We will work with our localization team to fix these issues as soon as we can.

When reporting please give as much detail as you can.

- What is the exact text that is wrong?
- Why is it wrong? (Wrong context? Incorrect translation? Etc.)
- Where did you encounter the erroneous translation? (Quest? Combat? Shop? Etc.)

Thanks for your help in making Book of Heroes better!
Little_Mike

Re: German (Deutsch) Issues - Post here!

Postby Little_Mike » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Tacita wrote:So with 2.0.2 BoH got translated in 4 more languages. These translations were obviously done by google translate or something similar. These translations were obviously not checked by native speakers (I can only speak for the German translation, but I guess it's the same with the other languages). The results are the wrong meaning of words, grammar mistakes,...

E.g.: In 2.0 the "Miss"-effect has been introduced. "Miss" has two meanings:
1.The verb (to) miss. The German translation would be "verfehlen".
2.It's a form of adress, like "Mister". In that case Miss = Frau, "Frau" is the German word for "woman".
You can guess how it got translated...

Second example: Enchants.
Enchanted items get a extra description that starts with "of" (of brutality, of impalement,...). "Of" has been translated to "von" which is right if you take "of" as a single word... but not in this context! "von" is usually used with a Dative following, but in this case it's a Genitive. So instead of "von" there have to be "des" or "der".

And there's another problem with English words that weren't translated. The Shadow Walker is now a "Schatten Walker". "Walker" is not a German word! "walk" means "laufen", so a "Walker" would be a "Läufer".

This and more translations made me finally switch back to English.

My suggestion:
Venan, please let some German speaking people correct this! Even if you don't want to pay for this, I'm sure there would be some volunteers in the community! As it is now, it just looks cheap and not like something I would like to spend time on.
Little_Mike

Postby Tacita » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Class abilities
Note: There is still lots of room for improvements, even if Venan did all what I listed below.
1. Shadow Walker
  • Caltrops is now "Krähenfüsse". "Füsse" is the plural of "Fuß" and because the "ü" isn't short there has to be a "ß" instead of "ss". Also Caltrops 2 & 3 are "Krähenfuß" 2 & 3, which is singular.
  • The description of Neurotoxic Stab: "...und Neurotoxin-Effekt zufügt und die Nahkampf- und Zauberwertung...". The original says "which" not "and", so it should be "...und (einen) Neurotoxin-Effekt zufügt, der die Nahkampf- und Zauberwertung..."
  • Ensnare: "Fügt Feind 25% Waffenschaden und 2.0s Betäubung zu...". The "Fügt 2.0s Betäubung zu" sounds like "deals 2.0s stunning". Better would be "Fügt (dem) Feind 25% Waffenschaden zu und betäubt (ihn) für 2,0s." Then "Unterbricht Betäubung, wenn Gegner beschädigt." That sounds like the attack itself would break the stun, not like the stun would be broken. So it's better to use passive: "(Die) Betäubung wird unterbrochen, wenn (der) Gegner beschädigt wird." or even better "..., wenn (der) Gegner Schaden erleidet." Then: "Unvermeidbar". I think "Unausweichbar" would be better because here it's more clear that the stun can't be dodged.
  • Garrote: "physical attack" is now "Körperangriff". This is a word that exists but isn't used because it just doesn't sound right. I think it would be better to translate "physical" to an adjective so it would be "körperlicher Angriff" or "physischer Angriff".
  • Toxic Blade: "mit" and "Waffenschaden" got abbreviated to "m." and "Waffensch.". "mit" is usually not abbreviated and I wouldn't do this with "Waffenschaden" because it's not clear enough what "Sch." means. And here's the same problem like with Neurotoxic Stab: "which" was translated to "und". -> "Naturangriff, der deine Waffe mit Gift beschichtet und (dem) Feind 110% Waffenschaden und (einen) Vergifteteffekt zufügt, der (die) Resistenz..."
  • Corrosive Blades: "Gewährt bei jedem erfolgreichen Angriff,eine Chance von 20% auf Zufügen eines Giftwirkungs-Stacks auf das Ziel, indem die Resistenz gegen Naturschaden um 15% verringert wird..." The comma is wrong. "Poisoned" is already "Vergiftet" in the Toxic Blade description, now it's called "Giftwirkung". "indem" is the wrong word, "durch den" is better. -> "Gewährt bei jedem erfolgreichen Angriff eine Chance von 20% auf Zufügen eines Stacks Vergiftet/eines Vergifteteffekts auf das Ziel, durch den die Resistenz gegen Naturschaden um 15% verringert wird..."
  • Smoke Bomb: "...verringere deine Abkühlfähigkeits-Timer durch 1,0s und verringere die Fähigkeits-Timer deiner Feinde durch..." "durch" is twice the wrong preposition, there should be "um". The second "verringere" should be "erhöhe" because "verringern" means "reduce" and knockback doesn't reduce the timers. Also I think it would be better if it would be "Aktionen" instead of "Fähigkeits-Timer" because else it sounds a bit like the cooldowns of the enemies would be increased.
  • Critical Eye: "...und eine Chance auf eine 30%ige Erhöhung der kritischen Trefferleistung mit Körperattacken." This means "a chance on a 30% increase in crit power with physical attacks.", but this is a permanent bonus, not a chance. so it should be "...und eine 30%ige Erhöhung der kritischen Trefferleistung..." For "Körperattacken" see what I wrote to Garrote.
  • Urgency: "...um 30% Eile für 2.0 s zu gewinnen." "Eile" doesn't fit here. You don't say "Eile gewinnen" but something like "Geschwindigkeit gewinnen" or (in this case) "an Tempo gewinnen". Haste was translated to "Tempo". Also the "um" isn't necessary. -> "...30% an Tempo für 2.0s zu gewinnen."

2.Justicar
  • Brutal Strike: "...die Aktionen des Feindes durch 0,42s verzögert." Here's the preposition wrong. It's not "durch" but "um". For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Cleave: For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Stunning Blow: Same like Ensnare.
  • Radiant Light: Radiant Light 1 says "1 positiver Effekt". Radiant Light 2 says "2 vorteilhafte Effekte". I think this would be more clear if it was "1 für sie positiver/2 für sie vorteilhafte Effekt/e"
  • Wound: "...100% Waffenschaden, einen Blutungs-Stack und zusätzlich 100% Waffenschaden..." I think "...100% Waffenschaden und einen Blutungs-Stack, der zusätzlich 100% Waffenschaden..." would make it more clear that Bleed does 100% weapon damage and is a DoT effect. For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Execute: "...Feinden mit 25 oder weniger % Gesundheit..." I think changing the word order would be good so it's better to read: "...Feinden mit 25% oder weniger Gesundheit..." For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Rend: "...einen Blutungs-Stack gegen das Ziel und verursacht 100% Waffenschaden..." Same problem like Wound: A relative clause would be better -> "...einen Blutungs-Stack gegen das Ziel, der 100% Waffenschaden...verursacht." For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Spirit Link: Typo: "Chance", not "Chamce". "...eine Chance von 20%, um einen Zorn-Stack..." Same like Urgency, the "um" isn't necessary. "...und den Gespenst-Schaden um 15% zu verringern" The spirit damage isn't reduced but the spirit resist there should be "Resistenz gegen Gespenst-Schaden". Also a relative clause would be better here. -> "Gewährt bei jedem erfolgreichen Gespenstangriff eine Chance von 20%, einen Zorn-Stack gegen das Ziel zu landen, der die Resistenz gegen Gespenstschaden um 15% verringert..."
  • Seismic Slash: Same like Smoke Bomb, it's "um" and not "durch". For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Backswing: For "Körperangriff" see Garrote.
  • Frenzy: For "Körperschaden" see Garrote.
  • Vengeance: "Chance von 50%..., um Vergeltung zu gewinnen,..." The "um" isn't necessary.
  • Stagger: "...ist der Feind Verblüsst..." As far as I and Google know is "Verblüsst" not a German word. The original says "staggered". This could be translated to "...taumelt/torkelt/wankt der Feind..."

3. War Mage
  • Icy Grasp: Same like Ensnare and Stunning Blow.
  • Fiery Lash: "...95% Waffenschaden und Brenneffekt und zusätzlich 100% Feuerschaden..." A relative clause would be better here: "...95% Waffenschaden und (einen) Brenneffekt, der zusätzlich..."
  • Staff Mastery: The thing war mages have equipped in their main hand is called staff. That would be "Stab" in German. An employee is also a staff (employee mastery).
  • Ice Lance: "...eine Verzögerung der Aktionen durch..." Ice Lance is a single target attack so there's only one and not multiple actions that are knocked back. Also it's "um" and not "durch". -> "...eine Verzögerung der Aktion um..." or even better "...verzögere seine Aktion um..."
  • Fire Mastery: "Erhöht die Crit-Leistung..." I think the wording from Critical Eye is better here: "Erhöht die kritische Trefferleistung..."
  • Ice Mastery: "Erhöht den Schaden von Eiszauber..." It's not one ice spell but all ice spell so it has to be "Eiszaubern" because it's dative plural. "....eine Chance von 4% auf Gefrieren." I think "Einfrieren" is better here because it's also in the Icy Grasp description. -> "Erhöht den Schaden von Eiszaubern um 5% und gewährt eine Chance von 4% auf Einfrieren (des Feindes)"
  • Magma Jet: "...Waffenschaden, eine schwelende Rüstung und eine Verringerung der Verteidigung..." A relative clause would be better here: "Waffenschaden und eine schwelende Rüstung, die die Verteidigung um...verringert..."
  • Shattering Force: Typo: "Feinden", not "Feinen". "Wenn Gefroren,..." This isn't a sentence because the verb is missing. Better would be: "Wenn sie eingefroren sind..." or "Wenn der Feind eingefroren ist,..."
  • Snap Cast: Snap Cast is now "Schnapp-Zauber", but Snap Cast 2 is still "Snap Cast 2". "Ermöglicht auf der Stelle die nächste Verzauberung." "Verzauberung" = enchantment. I think "Zauber" is better here. -> "...den nächsten Zauber...". "...der ersten Kampf-1,75s verwendet werden." The word order is wrong here. Better: "...der ersten 1,75s eines Kampfes verwendet werden."
    I'm not really happy with the translation "Schnapp-Zauber". This sounds more like the spell would be dangerous and bite your enemy like a angry dog. I suggest to change this to "Schnappschuss" which is one meaning of "snap".
  • Time Void: Time Void 1 is "Zeitleere". Time Void 2 is "Zeitlücke".
  • Elemental Fracture: Elemental Fracture is now "Elementarer Bruch". I suggest to change this from "Bruch" to "Riss" because that would make a little bit more sense. Also relative clauses would be better in the description. -> "Eisangriffe verursachen (einen) Feuerriss, der die Feuerresistenz des Feindes um 15% verringert. Feuerangriffe verursachen (einen) Eisriss, der die Eisresistenz des Feindes um 15% verringert. Max (...) 3 Stacks."
  • Ignite: "Fügt bei Feuerzaubern eine Chance von ... auf Brenn-Effekt-Stacks hinzu und fügt ... 100% Waffenschaden hinzu.." The phrase "eine Chance hinzufügen" does not exist. Better would be: "Gibt bei Feuerzaubern eine Chance von ... auf (einen) Stack Brenneffekt/des Brenneffektes..." Also a relative clause would be better here: "..., der über 5,0s 100% zusätzlichen Waffenschaden zufügt..."
  • Arcane Shield: The "um" is not necessary. Also I think it would be better to say "..., hast du eine Chance..." than "..., erhälst du eine Chance..."
-------------------

On the top of the ability screen are the available ability points. "Fähigkeits-Punkte verfügbarkeit" "Verfügbarkeit" is a noun so the first letter is a capital letter. Also I think it would be better to say: "Verfügbare Fähigkeitspunkte".
The reset button is still English.
--------------------

Raids show up on the raid finder but instead of the progress there's only {AMOUNT}.
Tacita

Postby Tacita » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:45 pm

From what I've read in chat there seems to be a bug with the quest where you have to purchase the Squire Sigil: The sigil is called "Siegel des Knappen" but in the quest it says "Siegel des Gutsherren".

----------

"Critical Hit!" isn't translated, I think this would be "Kritischer Treffer!" or "Kritischer Schlag!".

----------

-Mucky Duck Inn - Not tranlated. Mucky = "schmutzig", Duck = "Ente", Inn = "Gasthaus", so that would be "Gasthaus zur schmutzigen Ente"
-Gobblin' Goblins - "Verschlingende Goblins", "Goblins" isn't translated to the German word "Kobolde".
-Glenfort Coliseum - "Glenfort Sporthalle", a "Sporthalle" is a modern building where people can do sports and usually doesn't look like the Glenfort Coliseum. I think a better translation would be "Kolosseum".
-Glenfort Plains - Not translated. "Plains" means "Ebene" in German.
-Plaguerider's Pass - Not translated. I think "Plaguerider" would be "Seuchenreiter".
-The Plaguerider- Same as above.
-Fellmarsh - Unless this is a proper noun, it isn't translated.
-War of Fellmarsh - "Krieg vonFellmarsh" Same as above. "Von" and "Fellmarsh" are two words so they shouldn't be written together.
-Ironhaven Tower - "Ironhaven-Turm" "Ironhaven" isn't translated. It would maybe be "Turm der eisernen Zuflucht" or something like that...
-Shadow's Gate - "Shadow-Tor" "Shadow" isn't translated: it would be "Tor des Schattens"
-The Emperor's Court - I'm pretty sure "Court" isn't meant as "Gericht" but as "Hof" which is a place where kings and queens live...
-Graycoast Bog - "Graycoast" isn't translated.
-Ferndell Swamp - Same as above with "Ferndell". I think this would be "Farntal Sumpf".
-Fellmarsh Caverns - "Fellmarsh Höhlen" - see Fellmarsh.
-Ebian Forest - "Forest" isn't translated to "Wald".
-Heart of the Ebian - "Herz der Ebian" unless "Ebian" is a female person from a background story of BoH which will be released before the end of the universe there should be "des" instead of "der" because the article refers to the last word of "Ebian" - which a abbreviation of "Ebian Wald" - and "Wald" is male.
-Glacial Drift - "Drift" isn't translated, it would maybe be "Eisströmung", "Eisstrom" or "Eiswehe".
-Ice Dragon's Lair - "Versteck des Eis-Drachen" the "-" isn't necessary.
-Flame Cavern - "Flamme-Höhle" There's probably a "n" missing in the end of "Flamme" because else it sounds a bit strange.
-Lake Nithus - Not translated. I'd suggest "Nithus See".
-The Vile Gate and Battle of the Vile Gate and Vile Realm Gate - I'm not sure if "Vile" is a proper noun. I've found it as a adjective: "abscheulich". As a noun this would be "der Abscheuliche" (singular) or "die Abscheulichen" (plural). All the tree places would be "Das Tor der Abscheulichen", "Schlacht um das Tor der Abscheulichen" and "Tor des abscheulichen Reich(e)s".
-Overlord's View - "Ansicht des Lehensherren" I don't think "Ansicht" is the right word because it's more like "opinion". Maybe "Aussicht" would fit better.
-Estate Grounds - "Grundstück des Anwesens" This sounds very strange because it sounds like the ground would own a house...
-Callisto's Keep - There's a fullstop at the and of it: "Callistos Verlies."
-Karnak's Final Stand and Cliffside Forest - See 3 posts below.
Last edited by Tacita on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tacita

Postby LadyMedea » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Wonderful how many effort some players did invest to clear up the translation. For my humbling opinion it is not possible to transform this mess into acceptable german by forum postings. There are hundreds of typos, misspellings, bad translations and grammar. It really hurts my brain seeing this "German Version".
LadyMedea

Postby Ripple » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:24 am

Wouldn't mind to translate the strings if sent to me. Because at times the translation is nowhere near German.

I already do a lot of translating at Valves Translation community. I am actively translating Steam, Dota2, Team fortress2 and CounterStrike:GO

I found that many errors, i think you have to start at zero again..

Still: Let's start at the Options-Menu.

--------------------------------------------
your translation = my translation -> explanation

"Stummschaltung" = "Stumm schalten" -> sounds better, more commonly used in German

"Funktions-Angebote anzeigen" = "Besondere Angebote anzeigen" -> Original translation does NOT make sense at all.
My translation fixes this..

The button "Über" is commonly translated as "Info" in German. Every Windows-Application for example uses "Info" instead of "Über".

"Auto-Korrektur Text" = "Text Auto-Korrektur" -> Nobody would place words like in your translation.

Startup-Screen

There are only a few words, yet one is translated wrong.

"Spiele" = "Spielen" -> Encountered in 99% of the games as "Spielen". "Spiele" would be the imperative and sound like an order.

Class-Translation

"Schatten Walker" = "Schattenläufer" -> How can someone come to the conclusion, that it is Schatten Walker?? This is just wrong and this mix of German and English sounds horrible.

Character creation

"Zufallseingabe" = "Zufällig" -> Just sounds wrong in the context of generating a character randomly.

"Starte" = "Starten" -> Same like "Spiele" above, imperative shouldn't be there.

Currencies Popup

"Held-Tokens" = "Held-Marken" -> Token is not a german word, Marken is the right translation for it

"Respekt-Tokens" = "Respec-Marken" -> Respekt = Respect which would be wrong. Respec would mean "neu bestimmen" in German, and since this would truncate the text in that small area, I'd leave it as "Respec-Marken".

VALOR is translated with 3 different words on one screen! This is a huge fail imho. Valor in general should be translated with "Abzeichen".
"Squire's Heldenmut" = "Knappen-Abzeichen" -> Not translated (squire)
"Heldenmut des Soldaten" = "Soldaten-Abzeichen"
"Edelmut des Ritters" = "Ritter-Abzeichen"
"Edelmut des Kapitäns" = "Hauptmann-Abzeichen" -> "Kapitän" describes a person navigating a ship, doesn't make sense here. "Hauptmann" it what is being meant in this context.
"Tapferkeit des Champions" = "Champion-Abzeichen"

"PvP Beta Tokens" -> "PvP Beta Marken" -> Token not translated

----------------

Another big problem is the lack of consistency. You translated words one way, you tap on that word and on the next page it's called differently like "Kaufe Schließkisten" (buy lockboxes) and on the next page it is called "Schließkassette".

Also: translating every word DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. This game still has an international, english chat-room. How would one understand, what champion valor is, if it's translated totally different (and wrong/strange, but I will address this in another post)? In a case like this it makes sense to keep the original word. For the translation of Dota2 we said, that we do not change Item-Names, Hero-Names and things like that, to make it possible to communicate with english-speaking people.

I would love to see all of the Quest-Texts, playing through all of them again just to read them in two languages would cost too much time. If you want the help, i'd like to offer it to you Venan. Send me the strings to my E-Mail (English AND German if possible) and I will fix things, when I got spare time. At the moment the German translation is really, really messed up and I instantly switched back to English. If I was a new player and I'd see this, it'd feel like i was reading a foreign language created out of German words and I'd probably delete the application again because it feels cheap as hell.
Last edited by Ripple on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ripple

Postby Ripple » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 am

Tacita wrote:-Karnak's Final Stand - "Karnak's Endlage", "Endlage" is not really a word that is used much... or this should have been "Endlager" which would make a lot more sense...

-Cliffside Forest - Not translated. I'd suggest "Steilhang Wald".

Karnak's Final Stand must be "Karnaks letzter Widerstand". That is definitely the correct translation for this string. The actual one is pure nonsense. "Endlage" is not a word anyone would use and "Endlager" is commonly used for nuclear waste repositories :D

Cliffside Forest -> Would translate it "Klippenforst". Sounds better imho. (Kein persönlicher Angriff Tacita, du machst einen klasse Job :) )
Ripple

Postby Tacita » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 am

Ripple wrote:
Tacita wrote:-Karnak's Final Stand - "Karnak's Endlage", "Endlage" is not really a word that is used much... or this should have been "Endlager" which would make a lot more sense...

-Cliffside Forest - Not translated. I'd suggest "Steilhang Wald".

Karnak's Final Stand must be "Karnaks letzter Widerstand". That is definitely the correct translation for this string. The actual one is pure nonsense. "Endlage" is not a word anyone would use and "Endlager" is commonly used for nuclear waste repositories :D

Cliffside Forest -> Would translate it "Klippenforst". Sounds better imho. (Kein persönlicher Angriff Tacita, du machst einen klasse Job :) )

Danke fürs Korrigieren, ich hab's halt mal so gut es ging versucht :)
Tacita

Postby Ripple » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Not sure if someone is going to do something about this or even read this forum. I wrote down around 100 bad mistakes and strange sounding things when i encountered them, but tbh I won't write every single one into this thread.. Just too much..
Ripple

Postby LadyMedea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 am

Ripple: ich habe gestern einen Text mit ähnlichem Inhalt hier gepostet, aber - oh Wunder - heute ist er nicht mehr da.
Ich habe immer stärker den Eindruck VENAN hat kein Interesse an einer adäquaten Übersetzung und ist sich über den Grad von Demütigung durch diese Sprachverhunzungen nicht bewußt.
LadyMedea

Next

Return to Localization Issues