What would make you want to come back to PvP?

Discuss about all things related to PvP. What do you like? What do you hate? Let us know!

Re: What would make you want to come back to PvP?

Postby Derp_looks_like_a_Lady » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:40 am

As far as real time matching vs. A.I. why not do both? Try to match 2 online players for a "fair" match and if it goes past a certain time, offer an a.i. opponent of equivalent level/might.

The a.i. opponents could be pre-packaged or the heroes of offline players. Offer rewards for the live winners but don't take anything away from the a.i. losers in that case. Also don't allow multi matches against the same a.i. offline hero but give matches against fresh heroes for each pvp epoch.

There could also be challenges to overcome bosses, etc.

It would at least give players something to do in pvp instead of waiting forever only to get a totally unbalanced match because only a few players are online.

Speaking of online, I had suggested that there could be a sort of Coliseum alert like the raid finder where players are notified that there are players in their level/might range in the Coliseum who have made themselves available for a match. Currently you really can't tell who is waiting for a matchup and if anyone who's there is even in your league. :0)
Derp_looks_like_a_Lady

Postby Shiver_My_Timber_Phåse » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 am

The best part of this pvp is that it’s live, not an AI. The point is to get more ppl to participate so that the wait times are reduced and the match making gets better. We don’t need an AI for pvp.
Shiver_My_Timber_Phåse

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Out_To_Get_Lucky_Phåse404 wrote:The best part of this pvp is that it’s live, not an AI. The point is to get more ppl to participate so that the wait times are reduced and the match making gets better. We don’t need an AI for pvp.

How do we get that to happen in a game that is slowly losing players? There’s a reason they’re abandoning it. I like the idea of both, if you don’t matchmake properly then you get a bot of some kind. Many other games do it.

Venan have had ample opportunity to add to or improve their game modes in order to attract or at least retain players, but they haven’t done it. There were tons of suggestions made on these boards that got completely ignored.
Illy_the_Red

Postby Shiver_My_Timber_Phåse » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:45 pm

True, Venan has had ample opportunity to do a lot of things and they didn’t. You really think an AI system is something they’re gonna make? Lol.

Hell, if they do, and it works, I’ll support it.

Guess we’re all just waiting for a miracle from venan.
Shiver_My_Timber_Phåse

Postby Mr_Op » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 pm

I tend to log in every 5 weeks or so just to see what's going on. The problem is nothing is.

That's been the problem the whole time. Nothing updated and it because frustration losing 31 because of RNG.

A few "fixes"

1. A +- system where it isn't +1 -31 would be great a happy medium would be the best

2. Prestige would need to go for some people to return. Personally I liked it, but whatever brings folks back.

3. Staying consistent with resets and updates or else nothing truly matters.

I really believe that the pvp system is too far gone to get anything decent in place. I would reccomend having no points and throw everything back into beta until PVE is resolved if PVE gains interest some money would be generated to allow investments into PvP.
Mr_Op

Postby DedХХ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 pm

Last edited by DedХХ on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DedХХ

Postby Tom_ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Derp: I like the idea of an ancillary AI matchup in the event that no fair ones can be found. It may be asking a bit much for the current devs, but I think it is a good solution to the matchup problem that does not remove or inhibit the fun, live aspect of pvp. As for the alert proposal, you can see if people in pvp are around your level/might/rating by checking the challenge section, but an alert wouldn't be a bad thing by any means.

Hi Mr. OP: what would you suggest in the stead of the current points gain/loss system? Why does prestige need to go? I've never seen anyone complain about it. Consistent resets seems to be a recurring idea that people agree would be beneficial to pvp and updates are always a positive IMO. Throwing pvp back into Beta and doing away with the points system seems like a drastic solution, and I have to say I see a few potential problems. For example, if everyone is essentially the same rating, how will matchmaking categorize players on the basis of skill, might, etc? This means everyone would end up fighting everyone, which wouldn't be very conducive to fair matchups. Unless you are proposing that everyone would remain the same rating and the means to gain or lose rating would be eliminated, which I think would ultimately demoralize pvpers and remove any motivation to participate in pvp in the first place. Please do let me know if I'm misunderstanding you somehow. As for PVE, it certainly appears that devs are prioritizing it over pvp, what with the next update promising new raids and new valor, but nothing for pvp. I hardly think there's any need for pvp to regress for PVE to move forward.

Hi Prowl, this is definitely something I've heard other players say. That is, the core game should be Venan's primary focus, pvp is secondary, etc. And this is the way Venan has approached making updates and so on for years now, so prioritization doesn't seem to be their problem afaik. With that being said, this thread is meant to stimulate discussion about how pvp can improve and consequently attract more players and former pvpers that have moved away from the format for one reason or another. So if you have any input regarding pvp specifically, that would be great to hear.
Tom_

Postby DedХХ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 am

Last edited by DedХХ on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DedХХ

Postby Derp_looks_like_a_Lady » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:17 am

I think adding challenges would at least bring players into the Coliseum.

Challenge: defeat every toon on a given account. To do it live would take coordination between players but it's doable. Or there is the dreaded a.i. option.

Challenge: defeat every raid boss. I know I've mentioned it before but I think it would be a different challenge to face a raid boss in pvp mode (no healing and no powerups) and the bosses could be leveled to match the player. So a level 45 Skar might at least put up a fight for a round or two. ;0)
Derp_looks_like_a_Lady

Postby Derp_looks_like_a_Lady » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 am

Update_Phåse404 wrote:The best part of this pvp is that it’s live, not an AI. The point is to get more ppl to participate so that the wait times are reduced and the match making gets better. We don’t need an AI for pvp.

I agree live is better. But we only see a small fraction of players even darkening the door of the Coliseum so a.i. would at least draw them in as well as keep players in for longer stretches.

Yes, the main thing is to get players into the Coliseum do that there are more opportunities for live battles... and hopefully "better" matchups.
Derp_looks_like_a_Lady

PreviousNext

Return to PvP Discussion