Mega Topic: PvP Rating, Decay & Masters Feat

Discuss about all things related to PvP. What do you like? What do you hate? Let us know!

Postby Gamertrash » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:38 pm

OLD Topic
Deminish pvp rate weekly

Do to there only being so many spots open to masters the players that don't play after they get there simply hurt the ppl that do play if the rating deminished over say a weekly basis with rewards it might help rotate fresh players into top 100 even when season was reset I noticed a lot of players get there rank back just to squat.

Thank you
Gamertrash

Mod Note, PvP Discussion, Sticky, Original Post Locked, Topic Unlocked
Gamertrash

Re: Deminish pvp rate weekly

Postby Fluffster » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:41 pm

+1
Fluffster

Postby DreamingDæmon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:03 pm

I seem to remember way back when that Venan stated that Rating would naturally decay in the same way as Guild Power - so this doesn't happen yet? If not, this'd be a definite contender for the next pvp update.
DreamingDæmon

Postby Bj_Knows » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Gamertrash wrote:Do to there only being so many spots open to masters the players that don't play after they get there simply hurt the ppl that do play if the rating deminished over say a weekly basis with rewards it might help rotate fresh players into top 100 even when season was reset I noticed a lot of players get there rank back just to squat.

Hi Gamertrash,

I think your suggestion has some merit, however, PvP Rating is strictly Math. Cia having a PvP Rating of 0, with a Max Might character, does not help or hurt anyone.

The problem with decaying PvP Ratings is predicting wins. If my PvP Rating is equal to yours, it predicts a 50/50 win. If my real PvP Rating is equal to yours, but due to decay, I am 1000 below you, you scream at the Devs the game is broken.

One of the Devs will have to weight in with what gets you into Masters, but a version of your idea is to give you a "Master's Bonus", every Bout you fight in Masters, gets you a +5 Masters Rating. So a character with a 5 Masters Rating is a new Master, while a 5000 Masters Rating is an experienced Master.
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Postby Bj_Knows » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:11 pm

DreamingDaemon wrote:I seem to remember way back when that Venan stated that Rating would naturally decay in the same way as Guild Power - so this doesn't happen yet? If not, this'd be a definite contender for the next pvp update.

PvP Rating does not decay (see above). But Venan resets public PvP Rating every Season. I do not know how Venan decides on a Season, but they could make a Season 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or any length of time. People with 1000 Wins, but a public PvP Rating of 0, have not played in Season 2.
Bj_Knows

Postby EricM » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 pm

BJ,

I think what GT is trying to say is that since only 100 players can be Masters at any given time, those under the top 100, but still above 2400 rating end up getting screwed when many of those top 100 are inactive. Such as the legendary DaK, who's at 2404 rating is not a masters despite having the "rank".

Perfect example is me. Prior to this week, I was on a two month hiatus where I didn't pvp at all. Yet, I stayed in the top 10, stealing one of 100 coveted masters spots that could have been given to someone else.

Rather a decay, might be easier to just implement something similar to the hero score leaderboards, where you don't even show up on the rankings unless you've pvped in the past week. That way, only top 100 toons over 2400 rating who've been active in atleast one bout this week would show up.
EricM

Postby DreamingDæmon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Bj_Knows wrote:
DreamingDaemon wrote:I seem to remember way back when that Venan stated that Rating would naturally decay in the same way as Guild Power - so this doesn't happen yet? If not, this'd be a definite contender for the next pvp update.

PvP Rating does not decay (see above). But Venan resets public PvP Rating every Season. I do not know how Venan decides on a Season, but they could make a Season 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or any length of time. People with 1000 Wins, but a public PvP Rating of 0, have not played in Season 2.

Yeah, all my toons are currently rating 0, despite having done some pvp in beta and season 1. I know I saw a dev comment about decay for the reasons Gamer outlines, and Eric clarifies, and for some reason thought that it had been implemented for season 2.
DreamingDæmon

Postby Bj_Knows » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:04 pm

EricM wrote:I think what GT is trying to say is that since only 100 players can be Masters at any given time, those under the top 100, but still above 2400 rating end up getting screwed when many of those top 100 are inactive. Such as the legendary DaK, who's at 2404 rating is not a masters despite having the "rank".

Venan disabled the Beta PvP Scoreboard, so I cannot tell how many people are in Masters. If you are correct, and only the Top 100 can be in Masters, then Masters should reset every time Weekly PvP Rewards are sent out. Just knock them all to Plat 1. Basically you disable Masters for the first 24- 72 hours. I prefer 60 hours (4 Bouts per Day for Daily Bonus, 1 Bout per 6 hours, 10 Bouts for Medals, equals 60 hours). Or you could just reset Masters at midnight and have all of Plat 1 rush to get the Heroic Feat. Really, MMO Elo Matching is complex enough without trying to add a Top 100 League.

I would rather see Masters based on Top 100 Marks earned the previous week, similar to HS leaderboard.
Bj_Knows

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Bj_Knows wrote:
EricM wrote:I think what GT is trying to say is that since only 100 players can be Masters at any given time, those under the top 100, but still above 2400 rating end up getting screwed when many of those top 100 are inactive. Such as the legendary DaK, who's at 2404 rating is not a masters despite having the "rank".

Venan disabled the Beta PvP Scoreboard, so I cannot tell how many people are in Masters. If you are correct, and only the Top 100 can be in Masters, then Masters should reset every time Weekly PvP Rewards are sent out. Just knock them all to Plat 1. Basically you disable Masters for the first 24- 72 hours. I prefer 60 hours (4 Bouts per Day for Daily Bonus, 1 Bout per 6 hours, 10 Bouts for Medals, equals 60 hours). Or you could just reset Masters at midnight and have all of Plat 1 rush to get the Heroic Feat. Really, MMO Elo Matching is complex enough without trying to add a Top 100 League.

I would rather see Masters based on Top 100 Marks earned the previous week, similar to HS leaderboard.

Knock them into Plat I so that all the people in Plat I can fight masters-level toons as they get back to where they should be? Decreasing their rating artificially as they would lose more for these fights than if they'd faced a masters-level opponent? Not good.

There's already a top-100 league, BJ. That's what masters is. I also don't get how the Beta scoreboard would tell you how many people are in masters...

Yes, there can only be that many in masters. And the devs did somewhere mention that PvP rating would decay, or at least that they may do it. There are people in there that haven't PvP'd for months.

If the decay was small enough it would gradually erode their rating without dumping dozens of high level toons into a lower league. Imagine if half of Plat III suddenly got relegated into Gold I? It would cause chaos. You're right in that Elo matching is too complex (and too flawed).
Illy_the_Red

Postby Fara » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 pm

I don't think the ranking system can be improved. If you are not in Masters and you want to get into Masters then get better gear and/or tactics and you'll get there ;)
Fara

Next

Return to PvP Discussion