PvP, FAQ, Rank, Rating Match Making Rating- ARCHIVED

Discuss about all things related to PvP. What do you like? What do you hate? Let us know!

PvP, FAQ, Rank, Rating Match Making Rating- ARCHIVED

Postby Bj_Knows » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:13 am

Subject
PvP, FAQ, Rank, Rating, Match Making Rating

Archived for Research (Archive80t)

Archived for Research (80Archive)

DRAFT
DRAFT
DRAFT

PvP Rank
Q: Why is Cia’s PvP Rank 0? He has the highest Might in the world!
A: Until you enter PvP, your PvP Rank is 0.

Q: I PvP all the time, but my PvP Rank is currently 0.
A: Venan probably started a new PvP Season.

Q: Why would Venan reset PvP Rank with each Season?
A: If Venan never reset the PvP Ranks, then people, who stopped playing, would remain in the Top 100 for years.

Q: Why not reset PvP Rank each day or each week?
A: You would have to ask Venan. Their current decision is to reset PvP Rank with each PvP Season.

Q: When is the next PvP Season?
A: Only Venan knows. In the past, they have given us 1 week to 3 months warning before a major change.

Q: What is your PvP Rank based on?
A: It is mostly based on your PvP Rating.

PvP Rating
Q: Why would Venan reset PvP Rating with each Season?
A: Because PvP Rating is used to calculate PvP Rank. When Venan resets either PvP Rank or PvP Rating, it needs to reset both. See PvP Rank above.

Q: But the #1 PvP character in the world has a lower PvP Rating than the #10 PvP character in the world.
A: After every PvP Bout, a character’s PvP Rating change. PvP Rank updates on a schedule, similar to Guild Prestige. Just like the Overall Might Leaderboards, if several characters are close, the higher PvP Rank is given to the character with the most recent increase.

Q: How is my PvP Rating determined?
A: 50% of PvP Build is Farming (Level, Items, Hero Tokens), 25% of PvP Build is Design (Player & Venan), 10% of PvP is selecting an action during PvP and 5% of PvP is combat rolls.

Q: But Gold PvP is skill based.
A: It is skill based. Skills you need are raising your character’s Level, getting Items, increasing your Hero Training/ Tomes, buying the correct PvP Items, and using what you have earned.

Q: But that’s not *PvP* skill based that is Farming based.
A: It is no different from fighting the Goblins in Gobblin’ Goblin, the Undead in Crypt of Corruption or the Dual Bosses in Legacy of Blades. As your character gets better, you take almost no damage from the Goblins, you can one shot kill the Undead and you can survive the Dual Bosses. Both PvE, and PvP, Farming takes skill.

Q: I think PvP is 50% combat rolls.
A: Lets test this. Take off all your Gear, including your Weapon, and fight PvP.

Q: That’s not fair, I *need* my Weapon, punching sucks.
A: Your Level, Items and Hero Tokens make up a huge portion of your PvP Rating, that is just the way PvE, and PvP, combat is designed in BoH.

Q: So PvP Rating is just based on your Might.
A: A high PvP Rating means a high Might character, but having a high Might character does not guarantee a high PvP Rating. A War Mage has no decent Melee Attacks. Equipping 20 Tier 6 Melee Gems will give a War Mage lots of Might, but will not help in PvP. Equipping 20 Tier 6 Magic Gems will give the same Might, but be very helpful in PvP. It is a skill to design a character not just for Might, but also PvE and PvP success.

Q: Why does my PvP Rating go up and down?
A: It is similar to the waves at a beach. As the tide comes in, you get high tide, as the tide goes out, you get low tide. But every wave pushes some water a little bit up the beach, then it retreats, then the next wave pushes it a little bit up. High tide is similar to your highest PvP Rating, while low tide is similar to your PvP Rating after a 200 Bout losing streak. But each wave constantly changes the edge of the water, just like each PvP Bout constantly changes your PvP Rating. The exact reason is in the math formulas.

Q: So how *exactly* is PvP Rating calculated.
A: PvP Rating is based on this:

beekeo wrote:here is the wikipedia page that discusses different implementations of the ELO system used in professional chess tournament match making:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system#Theory

Q: But that is a modified Elo rating system for chess.
A: It uses the same mathematical basis.

Q: But that Math is hard!
A: Very hard.

Q: Can’t you make it simpler?
A: No.

Match Making Rating
Q: Venan mentioned Match Making Rating, what is it?
A: Your PvP Rating is mostly based on your hidden Match Making Rating (MMR). Your MMR is used to match you in PvP.

Q: Wait, I thought PvP Rating was based on modified Elo rating?
A: Yes. Your MMR is based on modified Elo rating. Your PvP Rating is based on your MMR. Thus your PvP Rating is ultimately based on a modified Elo rating.

Q: Why would you hide the MMR?
A: If you do not PvP during a Season, your PvP Rating is zero. But if you fought 2000 PvP Bouts last Season your MMR is still accurate. Separating the PvP Rating from the MMR lets Venan keep the information, even when Venan resets all the visible Stats. It is possible Venan has other reasons for the separation, but that is the public one.

PvP Matching
Q: PvP matching sucks, why can’t they make it better?
A: Matching based on modified Elo rating is thoroughly tested and verified. However, every time you lose in PvP, it takes five wins in PvP to make you feel better (Note 1). A better indicator is to compare your total wins to total fights.

Q: Why is my total wins roughly 50% of my total fights?
A: Two people fight. If you never won, you would quit PvP. If you never lost, your opponents would never win and they would quit PvP so you would have no one to fight.

Q: But X has more than 50% wins.
A: Matching is finding the best balance between all players currently in the Coliseum. This is even more complex than modified Elo rating. However, most Top 100 PvP characters will have a hard time finding a match with 50/50 chance of their opponent winning. So high level PvP characters will have more wins than 50%. If you want to be in the Top 100, 50% of PvP Build is Farming (Level, Items, Hero Tokens), 25% of PvP Build is Design (Player & Venan), 10% of PvP is selecting an action during PvP. So Farm for better stuff, experiment with different designs, and practice PvP.

Note 1)
As Professor Baumeister noted in his study, “Many good events can overcome the psychological effects of a bad one.” In fact, the authors quote a ratio of five goods for every one bad.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/your-money/why-people-remember-negative-events-more-than-positive-ones.html?pagewanted=all

DRAFT
DRAFT
DRAFT
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Opponent Pool

Postby Bj_Knows » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:03 am

Posted from my iPod

10% is opponent pool (characters PvPing, time of day, server lag, PvP Matching list refresh, etc.), but considering the math for *that* is insolvable equation, I usually leave that off.

Congrats punisheroi on being the first person to ask.
Bj_Knows

Luck & Weekly PvP Rewards

Postby Bj_Knows » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Luck is both Combat Rolls (5%, all luck) & Opponent Pool (10% all luck or half luck depending on Guild participation).

If you use the same Build every time, your PvP Rating for Weekly Rewards will vary 15% based on Combat Rolls & Opponent Pool.

To see how well you are doing at PvP, write down your PvP Rating after each Weekly Rewards mail. If you changed nothing on your character, it should be plus, or minus, 15% of last week's.

Only check your PvP Rating once a week. Like checking your weight 1/week vs checking 1/3 hours. You can gain & lose weight in 3 hours due to eating & crapping. If you advanced math guy, Ratings after each PvP fight are just math. See Forums.
Last edited by Bj_Knows on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Design & Farm Percentages were wrong
Bj_Knows

Re: PvP, FAQ, Rank, Rating Match Making Rating

Postby Mr_Op » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Bj_Knows wrote:Posted from my iPod

To see how well you are doing at PvP, write down your PvP Rating after each Weekly Rewards mail. If you changed nothing on your character, it should be plus, or minus, 15% of last week's.

Wouldn't this depend on how many matches you do?
Mr_Op

Re: PvP, FAQ, Rank, Rating Match Making Rating

Postby Bj_Knows » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:33 pm

The_Simpsons wrote:
Bj_Knows wrote:To see how well you are doing at PvP, write down your PvP Rating after each Weekly Rewards mail. If you changed nothing on your character, it should be plus, or minus, 15% of last week's.

Wouldn't this depend on how many matches you do?

Yes. But if you are trying to analyze your PvP Rating, you should be running at least your 4 Daily Bonus PvP Bouts for 28 Bouts per Week. If you run less, you will not get as much accuracy. More will give you more accuracy.
Bj_Knows

Return to PvP Discussion