Initiative in PvP

Discuss about all things related to PvP. What do you like? What do you hate? Let us know!

Re: Initiative in PvP

Postby DëäfMütë » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Initiative swings are not the issue. It's the cooldown timer advance. Simply put, caltrops vs wait. Sticky vs jugger, wound/brutal, reflexive into their next attack which cannot be seismic or stun since you have a cooldown advance. Smoke or stun that. Having .3 advance for initiative swing, i feel, should end there.
DëäfMütë

Postby Illy_the_Red » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:24 pm

backward wrote:Initiative swings are not the issue. It's the cooldown timer advance. Simply put, caltrops vs wait. Sticky vs jugger, wound/brutal, reflexive into their next attack which cannot be seismic or stun since you have a cooldown advance. Smoke or stun that. Having .3 advance for initiative swing, i feel, should end there.

Please reread the posts already made, because it sounds like you don't have any initiative enchants, which is causing the issues you are seeing.
Illy_the_Red

Postby DëäfMütë » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 pm

I have a shieldicar, i can sacrifice block chance or status resist. Both of which are more priceless to me than for me to have the initiative or try to lower theirs. I really do not care at all if they have time to toxic blade before i get to touch a button. It's the COOL DOWN advance that makes no sense. It will get nerfed within a year but i would like to start it. eventually someone will have .5 initiative. Sticky, shadow veil, smoke bomb FIRST oponents attack. That's why i made a sw. I will exploit this
DëäfMütë

Postby Illy_the_Red » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:01 am

backward wrote:I have a shieldicar, i can sacrifice block chance or status resist. Both of which are more priceless to me than for me to have the initiative or try to lower theirs. I really do not care at all if they have time to toxic blade before i get to touch a button. It's the COOL DOWN advance that makes no sense. It will get nerfed within a year but i would like to start it. eventually someone will have .5 initiative. Sticky, shadow veil, smoke bomb FIRST oponents attack. That's why i made a sw. I will exploit this

Block chance and status resist are power enchants. Initiative is a skill enchant.

I think the cool down advance does make sense. You win the initiative, you go first and get a jump on your cooldowns. Otherwise if a WM lost initiative they'd still start their snap cast cooling down immediately, and all classes' stuns would come that much quicker.

Initiative is supposed to be an advantage. Either adjust your own strategies like we've tried to advise here, or just accept that the way you want things to work isn't how they work. Trust me, the enchant is great. When it's in your favour it gives you advantages and when it isn't, your initiative enchants mitigate the amount of cooldown time you lose.
Illy_the_Red

Postby pubear » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:53 pm

I just found this out in chat. I don't see why the initiative bonus should extend to stun delays. Going first is an advantage in itself. Why make it such a hamstring?
pubear

Postby Jumper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

pubear wrote:I just found this out in chat. I don't see why the initiative bonus should extend to stun delays. Going first is an advantage in itself. Why make it such a hamstring?

It doesn't extend the cooldown. It reduces the cooldown of you opponent. My opinion on initiative is that the first 0.15 s should still be randomly allocated so that the matches are not so darn predictable in their openings.
Jumper

Postby Sir_TâpsØlòt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Purao uses no Inititative. He doesn't seem to struggle does he? Last season I was armor pen for quite awhile and I held the same ratings as I do with full initiative that I am using now. I don't really think its OP at all IMO.
Sir_TâpsØlòt

Postby Bango » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 am

TäpZíllâ wrote:Purao uses no Inititative. He doesn't seem to struggle does he? Last season I was armor pen for quite awhile and I held the same ratings as I do with full initiative that I am using now. I don't really think its OP at all IMO.

Amen.
Bango

Postby EricM » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:23 am

Initiative becomes more overpowered the quicker matches go. If fights end after the first major combo, obviously whoever goes first has a huge advantage.

But conversely, initiative gets underpowered the slower matches go since it has less of an effect overall.
EricM

Previous

Return to PvP Discussion