Inactive Guilds - Currently 1989 and Growing

A place to talk about all things guild related.

Inactive Guilds - Currently 1989 and Growing

Postby Musketeer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:01 pm

There are currently 2133 Guilds on the Guild list. 1989 of them have not managed a successful raid in a month or more. They are dead Guilds.

The vast majority of those have just one member, someone who started the game, got to Lvl 4, created their Guild, lost interest, and no longer plays the game.

The rest contain many Guilds which have blocked auto-accept (why would a new Guild do that???), but have no active GM or Officers (or probably players), so nobody can join to try to get the Guild going again.

The new Shield cost for creating a Guild will go some way towards reducing the continued growth of these dead guilds, but is it time to have a clear out?

I suggest to Venan that there should be a clean out of these inactive Guilds, in this order:

1) any 1 man Guilds are deleted if the GM has been inactive for a month or more.
2) Any Guild with more than 1 player, but none active for at least a month, be deleted.
3) Any Guilds with zero power (so not actively raiding in the last month) and auto-accept off has auto-accept set to on.

Possibly in addition, all lvl 4 Characters that have been inactive for 2 months be deleted. If a player wishes to return, it takes only an hour or so to get to lvl 4 with a new character.

This would reduce the Guild list to less than 200, of which about 144 are actually going somewhere, albeit at their own pace. This, combined with the new GS cost for creating a Guild under 1.4.0, should encourage players to join the existing active Guilds, not clog up the list with hopeless cases. New Guilds can still be created by existing players as 5 GS is not such a burden to an active daily player.
Musketeer

Re: Inactive Guilds - Currently 1989 and Growing

Postby Little_Mike » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:48 pm

We already have plans to purge dead guilds. More details of this will be announced when we are ready to do this.
Little_Mike

Postby Doctor_Love_Money_Shot » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 am

How are those plans coming along?? :)
Doctor_Love_Money_Shot

Postby Little_Mike » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:24 am

Not very well obviously given we haven't done anything since my last post. We have brought it back up again and hope to address this soon.
Little_Mike

Postby LH_Ploe » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:03 pm

I was part of a guild that was fairly active and then the guild leader had some life distractions come up and asked me to take over leading the guild. Despite daily raids and my best efforts the guild slowly died over about 2 months. I have been trying to dissolve the guild and have booted all the members out but cannot dissolve the guild. I would like to join an active guild, but cannot leave my position. I know there are administrators to contact but I can't find any emails. This info should be easier to find an may help clear out some of those inactive Guilds. It's kind of like the Bates Motel...you can't check out!
LH_Ploe

Postby Little_Mike » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:10 pm

You should be able to disband your guild when you are the last member remaining.
Little_Mike

Postby Musketeer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Belated thanks to Venan and Little Mike for the much needed Guild purge. It looks like it more than halved the number of Guilds at the time, and greatly (one would hope) simplified matters for new players looking for a Guild to join.

As I write there are now 1170 Guilds, of which the top 411 have actually completed a raid in the last month. That suggests that there are still far too many new Guilds starting up, with no hope of getting enough Guild Members to actually raid even Gobblin' Goblins successfully.

Are there any plans for further, perhaps regular Guild purges, and could future purges be announced in news a week in advance to enable any at risk Guilds to do something to avoid deletion?

Members of my old Guild Chaos Brotherhood are concerned that another purge may occur without warning, and with different critera for deletion. The Guild is not currently actively raiding, but has earned all the Guild Favors and thus makes a great hangout for non-raid activities.
Musketeer

Postby Lady_Katy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't know when the next round of purging will be done, but I assume we will use the same criteria:

1) 0 Power (usually this means no completed raids for ~30 days)
2) Less than 4 members
3) No members active for previous 60 days.

So, if you are using a guild for alts to hang out in, make sure they pop on every once in awhile and you should be fine. :)
Lady_Katy

Postby sB_Grizzly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm

I just read all of this, and in nearly a month since the last comment there's 2000+ guilds again yet nearly 1000 inactive or possibly more. There really should be an auto purge for guilds inactive for over 30 days. Please reply your thoughts
sB_Grizzly

Postby Doctor_Love_Money_Shot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

The glut of new guilds is due to all the new players joining up recently who think it is their duty to create a guild of 1 and then spam global to find new minions to join them.

I think there should be new requirements added before one can open their own guilds. Obviously, raising the might requirement is not helping because you can power through the levels in a matter of days, even without buying GS. Also, the GS cost being increased doesn't help when people can get tons of free GS in no time flat.

There needs to be some sort of duration factor involved before someone cal start a new guild. Something like being a member of the game for 1 month, or being a member in another guild first for 1 month. When I started this game, guilds existed but I didn't even bother trying to join one until I was like level 20 as I just focused on leveling. That gave me time to get familiar with the game before becoming a nuisance in another guild, or spamming global with questions or ads begging for people to join my own guild.

I don't think the time requirements would need to be met by every single toon on an account, but maybe just by one toon on an account. Maybe make an achievement that must be met based on duration like complete 30 dailies before you can start a guild. (Side note - what about having achievements that are combined achievements by all toons on an account? This would encourage creating multiple toons which would increase playing time. I would never do this, but many would. But I digress. . . . )

I just want to see some sort of requirement to ensure a player is not just a brand new baby to the game when they are starting up a new guild. Just because you were an excellent GM in WoW, doesn't mean you should start your own guild your first day at BoH. Learn the ropes first, join other guilds, learn how things work here, then if you STILL want a guild, at least you put in a little effort first.
Doctor_Love_Money_Shot

Next

Return to Guild Discussions