Talk Like a Pirate Day

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Derrin_Watson » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:49 pm

For those who weren't part of the game last year, Talk Like a Pirate Day (or rather 10 days likely) offers one of the most unique and potentially enjoyable seasonal events in the game. Although Venan has not announced its plans (other than the fact that they intend to hold it), we can use the past to predict what's coming.

TLAP involves a special public raid against Darkthorn the Pirate and his band of evil doers. If memory serves, there are three phases, with the first two mobs and the third a boss. None of the phases is onslaught.

A couple of things make the raid unique:
  • The raid is available to most players regardless of level. Level 35 players might be fighting alongside level 15 players. The enemies scale to match your level.
  • The raid is based entirely on public raids, which means they are not sponsored by a particular guild (although guilds will sometimes arrange a time to jump in together). That means there's almost always one open, and you can raid on your own schedule. It also means you get to rub shoulders with players that you would not otherwise meet, and sometimes renew acquaintances with old friends. For the players who dislike guild loyalty, this is a great opportunity to chat with other players in a cooperative environment.
To tell the truth, last year there were essentially two events. We started with a disastrous event that failed miserably and left a lot of unhappy players. Venan learned several things from that experience (such as starting events like this on Thursday so they could make course corrections on Friday if needed). Unfortunately, many people still harbor hard feelings from those first four days.

But Venan listened to us, and made major changes to the event. After those changes, the event was fun and profitable. It provides good silver, pirate kills for the relevant feats, and some wonderful items. (I'm still proud of one particular shield :) .)

My suggestions to Venan for this upcoming event:

1. Upgrade it to scale to level 35
2. Provide a T19 item
3. Perhaps adjust some prices on now lower level items
4. Don't change anything else from the end product after you fixed it

I've been looking forward to this event for months. As fixed, it's that good.
Derrin_Watson
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Mr_Op » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:56 pm

This is just another raid killer I wish it was like lucky and spawned in guild raids
Mr_Op
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Sigèé » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:29 pm

If it goes as Derrin suggests, I predict a really good event. We shall see!

One word from the wise; don't bother trying to organise a tie! With most raiders probably unknown to you, it won't work. 20% won't really contribute, 50% will dump and run, 20% will not burn but use regen and 10% will burn. Of that 10%, there will almost without fail be one or two who deliberately screw up your tie right at the end. Be warned :-/
Sigèé
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby AmyLoo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Lol, I remember trying to do ties a few times last year. Not this time!
AmyLoo
Moderator
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:17 am

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Illy_the_Red » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:07 am

Sigèé wrote:If it goes as Derrin suggests, I predict a really good event. We shall see!

One word from the wise; don't bother trying to organise a tie! With most raiders probably unknown to you, it won't work. 20% won't really contribute, 50% will dump and run, 20% will not burn but use regen and 10% will burn. Of that 10%, there will almost without fail be one or two who deliberately screw up your tie right at the end. Be warned :-/


Ties aren't worth it anyway because when people try it, there's inevitably someone who comes back on for their regen having been off the game for a bit. Even in normal raids it's better to just let everyone hit.
Illy_the_Red
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Bbbb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:02 am

Ilyana wrote:Ties aren't worth it anyway because when people try it, there's inevitably someone who comes back on for their regen having been off the game for a bit. Even in normal raids it's better to just let everyone hit.


I have seen it work fine on about 90% of the raids in multiple guilds.
Bbbb
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Sigèé » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:37 am

Ilyana wrote:
Sigèé wrote:If it goes as Derrin suggests, I predict a really good event. We shall see!

One word from the wise; don't bother trying to organise a tie! With most raiders probably unknown to you, it won't work. 20% won't really contribute, 50% will dump and run, 20% will not burn but use regen and 10% will burn. Of that 10%, there will almost without fail be one or two who deliberately screw up your tie right at the end. Be warned :-/


Ties aren't worth it anyway because when people try it, there's inevitably someone who comes back on for their regen having been off the game for a bit. Even in normal raids it's better to just let everyone hit.

You have your opinion as usual!
Sigèé
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Illy_the_Red » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Sigèé wrote:
Ilyana wrote:
Sigèé wrote:If it goes as Derrin suggests, I predict a really good event. We shall see!

One word from the wise; don't bother trying to organise a tie! With most raiders probably unknown to you, it won't work. 20% won't really contribute, 50% will dump and run, 20% will not burn but use regen and 10% will burn. Of that 10%, there will almost without fail be one or two who deliberately screw up your tie right at the end. Be warned :-/


Ties aren't worth it anyway because when people try it, there's inevitably someone who comes back on for their regen having been off the game for a bit. Even in normal raids it's better to just let everyone hit.

You have your opinion as usual!


Sure do. Not saying yours is 'wrong' either, I actually agree with you.
Last edited by Illy_the_Red on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illy_the_Red
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Illy_the_Red » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Bbbb wrote:
Ilyana wrote:Ties aren't worth it anyway because when people try it, there's inevitably someone who comes back on for their regen having been off the game for a bit. Even in normal raids it's better to just let everyone hit.


I have seen it work fine on about 90% of the raids in multiple guilds.


I've seen it fail to work on multiple occasions in multiple guilds across two years. Normally it's meh to me as I don't burn, but if I was, I wouldn't tie unless it was with one person and they asked nicely. Sometimes people are coming back to spend regen and others want them to not hit using half an hour's regen.

Only one recent guild that I've been in still did regular ties, which is fine, each to their own if you can manage to organise it. They did however throw hissy fits if people broke them. Tbh if someone wants to tie, ask them. Don't just stick a number in the guild chat and decide everyone's doing it, and it might work out.
Illy_the_Red
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Sparklefarkle » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:32 am

In Sverige we sometimes suggest a tie if the numbers look good, but it's never an issue if it doesn't work out for whatever reason. Just another way to make a raid interesting.
Personally I've sometimes accidentally broken a tie. It happens, especially when running several toons. Not a disaster, but I will apologize when mercing.
Sparklefarkle
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Next

Return to Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron