Weapon Focus and Inner Focus

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Weapon Focus and Inner Focus

Postby Bj_Knows » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 am

Subject
Weapon Focus and Inner Focus in BoH v2.0

After getting Tier 12 Gear, both Weapon Focus and Inner Focus are usually a poor choice for many builds.

In BoH v2.0, Level 33 Justicar Zeetha, using a 1h Sword gets Physical Bonus Damage 882, raised to 892 by Guild Favor (Melee Rating increased 5%) for a gain of +10 Damage. Each Rank in Weapon Focus (Melee and Magic Rating 5%) will give Zeetha the same amount as the Guild Favor, another +10 Damage (903 due to rounding) for a maximum of +30 Damage (925 due to rounding). This becomes a +1.00% increase in Brutal Strike rank 3 damage with a 1h Sword for Weapon Focus rank 1 and a +3% increase in Brutal Strike rank 3 with 1h Sword and Weapon Focus rank 3.

Spending 3 ability points for a 3% increase in damage is a poor choice for most Builds. After you get Tier 12 Gear, I would recommend changing your build to remove Weapon Focus.

Inner Focus gives Level 33 War Mage Agatha roughly 2%, 3% and 4% increase in damage for rank 1/ 2/ 3.

Note: If you can one shot Mobs and Bosses in LEGS Raid with Weapon Focus rank 1- 3, or Inner Focus rank 1- 3, then spending the ability points may be worth it for your character.
or
EricM wrote:For example, swers vs. karnak. I believe with full lv 8s and maxed gems/equipment, you can consistently one hit karnak on a crit piercing. But with full lv 7s (only 3% less damage), you can't. And so it's nice to keep that in the back of our minds when we need a slight damage boost here and there. Especially since respec's are free now.

Data
Zeetha, 2h Spirit/ Melee Justicar and 2h Physical/ Magic Justicar
Melee Rating 2,759, Phys Damage Bonus 882 (Black Font), 892 (Green Font)
Magic Rating 2,681, Magic Damage Bonus 876 (Black Font), 886 (Green Font)

Zeetha
1h Sword
Brutal Strike rank 3+ Weapon Focus rank 0/ rank 1
3,147- 3,529
3,164- 3,547

Smite rank 3+ Weapon Focus rank 0/ rank 1
4,214- 4,730
4,234- 4,752

Radiant Light rank 3+ Weapon Focus rank 0/ rank 1
1,685- 1,892
1,693- 1,900

2h Axe
Brutal Strike rank 3+ Weapon Focus rank 0/ rank 1
5,254- 6,355
5,283- 6,384

Smite rank 3+ Weapon Focus rank 0/ rank 1
7,042- 8,520
7,074- 8,552

Radiant Light rank 3+ Weapon Focus rank 0/ rank 1
2,816- 3,408
2,829- 3,420

Agatha, Ice/ Fire Fracture War Mage and Fire/ Ice Fracture War Mage
Magic Rating 5,397, Magic Damage Bonus 1,083 (Black Font), 1,103 (Green Font)

Favor of Magic
Magic Rating by 5%

Favor of Strength
Melee Rating by 5%

Weapon Focus
Melee and Magic Rating 5%/ 10%/ 15%

Inner Focus
Magic Rating 10%/ 15%/ 20%
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Checking Abilities in v2.1+

Postby Bj_Knows » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:36 am

Subject
Checking Abilities in v2.1+

With the removal of Respec Tokens, it is easy to Check Weapon Focus/ Inner Focus, or any Class Ability.

A) Remove Weapon Focus/ Inner Focus from your Build,
B) Enter Combat, and check your Brutal Strike/ Frozen Shard Tool Tip for minimum and maximum damage,
C) Add Weapon Focus rank 3/ Inner Focus rank 3 to your Build,
D) Enter Combat, and check your Brutal Strike/ Frozen Shard Tool Tip for minimum and maximum damage,

The difference between B & D will show you what your are getting for your 3 Ability points.

You can do this with any Direct Damage Class Ability, Ex: Elder Fury, Toxic Blade, Lethal Poison, Ice Mastery.

Bj_Knows

AKA
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Re: Weapon Focus and Inner Focus

Postby Illy_the_Red » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:54 pm

What you appear to be saying BJ is that with a 1H weapon, weapon focus 3 and brutal strike 3, the Justicar would get a 3% damage increase - or, an increase of three levels' worth of the 1H damage enchant.

Don't know how that affects 2 handers but three enchant levels seems worth it for three ability points you might struggle to spend elsewhere on a useful PvE ability. I'm not sure where my melee Justicar would put the 3 points (and have something I'd actually use in PvE).
Illy_the_Red

Postby EricM » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Adding on to what ily said, also keep in mind everything is affected by buffs.
So it may only be 2-4% increase, but there are times where 2-4% matters.

For example, swers vs. karnak. I believe with full lv 8s and maxed gems/equipment, you can consistently one hit karnak on a crit piercing. But with full lv 7s (only 3% less damage), you can't. And so it's nice to keep that in the back of our minds when we need a slight damage boost here and there. Especially since respec's are free now.
EricM

Postby Bbbb » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 pm

EricM wrote:Adding on to what ily said, also keep in mind everything is affected by buffs.
So it may only be 2-4% increase, but there are times where 2-4% matters.

I'm not going to read BJ's post, but assume your summary is accurate. SWs and especially Justis have enough ability points to not care about them. Only on my mage could I use more, but I would take this slight increase over my alternatives (mostly increasing ignite or lash).
Bbbb

Postby Bj_Knows » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 am

EricM wrote:For example, swers vs. karnak. I believe with full lv 8s and maxed gems/equipment, you can consistently one hit karnak on a crit piercing. But with full lv 7s (only 3% less damage), you can't. And so it's nice to keep that in the back of our minds when we need a slight damage boost here and there. Especially since respec's are free now.

Thank you EricM for your detailed feedback for high Raid Might characters. Unfortunately my highest Raid Might is 27k.

My favorite v2.1 feature is a tie between Free Respecs (No, don't trust EricM, or Bj, *try it yourself*, your milage may vary), Challenges (How *does* Armor Penetration Work?) and Replays (Bug Hunting).

Bj_Knows

AKA
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Postby Bj_Knows » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:41 am

EricM wrote:So it may only be 2-4% increase, but there are times where 2-4% matters.

Short Response
With Free Respecs, all players should try it themselves.

Long Answer
Actually, it is worse if you have 10+ Melee or Magic Tier 6 Gems. My characters are low Raid Might so get more bonus from Weapon Focus/ Inner Focus than high Raid Might characters.

The problem is Weapon Focus and Inner Focus are very Combat Encounter dependent. Spending 0- 3 ability points depends on your favorite Farming, Raids, and PvP. I actually have Weapon Focus in my "Fight Club" Build for Challenges since it has no Weapon (bare fist attack), so most abilities are useless.

Bj_Knows

AKA
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Return to Discussions