Luck - is it really worth it

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Luck - is it really worth it

Postby Romain » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 am

Hi,

A number of us have defaulted to luck for magic enchantments, due to the lack of anything else (free). I was trying to check the return and I'm a bit surprised by what I found. I hence seek your help to point out my mistakes, if there are some:
- Level 1 will cost you 100 essences for 0.5 % bonus. That means you'll need to farm 100 / 0.005 = 20000 essences before reaching 100 bonus essences and breaking even;
- Level 2 will cost you 100 + 250 = 350 for 1% bonus ==> break even at 35k;
- For level 3, break even at 850 / 0.015 = 56667 essences.
Carrying on this way I get 92500 break even for level 4, 174k for level 5 and 300k for level 6.
Note that the break even points is the same regardless of the number of luck enchants (e.g. 1, 2 or 3 luck enchants at level 2 will break even at 35k). You just have to imagine 3 affine functions with different starting points and, the more enchants, the steeper slope. They all intersect at the break even point.

Now, let's assume you have 1 luck enchant and 8 others. Getting all your 8 other enchants to level 5 will cost you 8 x 4350 essences = 34800. Which means a level 2 luck enchant is only worth it if you plan to get more than 8 others at or past level 5.

So, of course, this is based on the assumption that only essence matters after a while, and that you get more fluxes than necessary. Sure, you'll get a few extra runes, silver, even gs in the equation but that doesn't have much impact. So... where is my math flawed?
Romain

Re: Luck - is it really worth it

Postby Bbbb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I had run similar numbers a while back and came to the same conclusion. I thought Level 3 was worth it because I was looking at the Level 6 essence return as I plan to go there eventually. Plus I know one person who lucked on the 100th TV and got 2 sets of T6 enchants. But I have no plans for level 4 and beyond.

I am going to suggest two things you missed, but I want to stress they are minor. A few things you left out of the return side of the equations: potions, recipes (I have had it happen), shards (big win for lower might players), and the various event drops (energy potions and the T6 enchant being the biggies). Another change is that you could subtract out of the cost what you get back if you were to disenchant the luck at the end.
Bbbb

Postby Grnm » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:43 pm

the ROI math for Luck is as heartbreaking as for Regen (though Luck comes for free and you are actually forced to make an enchant to complete the quest).

Luck though has some, uh, circumstantial value, when drops happen at the right time, e.g. an extra gs to buy an elixir, an extra flux, silver, rune, etc. which has immediate effect (and adds to the fun factor).

I am truly amazed to hear that someone got the 2nd plate off Val. Such a drop immediately justifies fiddling with luck enchant.
Grnm

Postby Hope_Rekkless » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:24 pm

I got double plate from luck and have gotten double chest a few times off trask so I think it's worth it
Grnm wrote:the ROI math for Luck is as heartbreaking as for Regen (though Luck comes for free and you are actually forced to make an enchant to complete the quest).

Luck though has some, uh, circumstantial value, when drops happen at the right time, e.g. an extra gs to buy an elixir, an extra flux, silver, rune, etc. which has immediate effect (and adds to the fun factor).

I am truly amazed to hear that someone got the 2nd plate off Val. Such a drop immediately justifies fiddling with luck enchant.
Hope_Rekkless

Postby Grnm » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm

LH_Rekkless wrote:I got double plate from luck and have gotten double chest a few times off trask

Man, you are the luckiest guy of BOH, seriously :mrgreen:
Grnm

Postby Celestial_Cavalier » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

I believe it is worth it. My luck is not really that high at the moment but I get double rewards quite frequently. My favorite are the double fluxes.
Celestial_Cavalier

Postby john12345 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 pm

the question is why u ppl playing boh? personally I like this game with handful of meaningful long/medium/short term goals. and of course for maxing my toon or getting as close to it as I can.
ok for maxing toon u need all lvl 6 enchants.
what can u choose for magic ones? healing is virtually junk for high might toon. dmg is great in terms of straight forward maxing.
so if I meant to max my toon and quit boh next day I would probably invested in relevant dmg enchanting.
but it kinda pointless max and quit, right :)
so what are enchants for long term?
only 2 currently: luck and e regens.
assuming u intend to play years, these 2 will contribute most for future toon improvement while all the rest r good just for themselves.
maybe if pvp enters soon and proposes great rewards for toon development like 1k cv + 1k essence per winning - dmg could compare with luck/e regens.
so even if their improvement is really small it's still better compared to alternatives.

btw, I raised my luck to some 6%-7% for valentine on all my 3 toons and one got double plate drop:)
and even if armor penetration is not as good as 2h it's not completely junk and it's great in terms of maxing enchanting on 2 items out of 9 and saving me hell amount of portal grind time:)
john12345

Postby Bbbb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

My current feeling about e regen is that it isn't even a good long term investment unless you play 12+ hours a day straight and never let your toon fill with energy in the middle.
Bbbb

Postby Bbbb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:58 pm

I am bumping this thread. When reading it, please keep in mind the analysis was pre-KFS and pre-LoB. Those raids made dmg enchant more valuable than luck when doing onslaught.

However, I have 2 of my 3 toons (my underpowered SW needs the extra dmg) running luck when not in onslaught. So far, I have left them where they are - around level 4.

I am wondering what others are doing.
Bbbb

Postby NikoNarf_1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Onslaught build... t15 ring, amulet and cloak(wings). All level 4 damage bonus.

Regular build... t16 ring, amulet and cloak. Level 6 (or working toward) luck.

Might 30-32k (one of each class).

Essence is what is holding me back, not more damage, so essence drops per energy is what I seek... so luck is best for me.
NikoNarf_1

Next

Return to Discussions