War Mage Issue

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

War Mage Issue

Postby Th8rgoddess » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:32 am

I have a large problem with playing my high level mage because it has become a slog to kill things at the higher levels. Part of the problem could be because of the damage type she deals and the resistance types of the enemies. Say I'm in the volcano zone (forget the name) and I'm battling the enemies there, I have to work a lot harder to kill them because my dominatly powerfull spells deal fire damage, and many of the enemies have resistance to fire damage. The powerfull attacks become less useful, and the ice ones become more powerfull, but nowhere near as effective as the fire attacks are in other zones.

There is a balance issue between the two types of attacks, where it made my character ineffective in certain zones, even if she is a higher level then is reccomended for that zone. Am I the only one having thus issue?
Th8rgoddess

Re: War Mage Issue

Postby Celestial_Cavalier » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 am

I have the same problem here and maybe even more because my lvl 20 War Mage is a sort of an experiment. I decided to stay in the middle ground and didn't choose either of the fractures ability. But I still find the fire region and even the Hunter region easy. The Ice region is the one giving me trouble because of Ice Lord Vallus healing.
Celestial_Cavalier

Postby Th8rgoddess » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 am

I took both fractures and I'm still having issues. Last night I defeated Valius with my Shadow walker in aboit the quarter of the time that it takes with my War Mage. Part of that was because he only went to heal once, and I was able to use a break rune to stop it, but he only had time to heal once instead of 3 or 4.
Th8rgoddess

Postby Celestial_Cavalier » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Th8rgoddess wrote:I took both fractures and I'm still having issues. Last night I defeated Valius with my Shadow
walker in aboit the quarter of the time that it takes with my War Mage. Part of that was because he only went to heal once, and I was able to use a break rune to stop it, but he only had time to heal once instead of 3 or 4.

Check one of the posted links for war mages. Its better to have just one of the fractures according to it. You can either be a fire war mage or an ice war mage.
Last edited by Celestial_Cavalier on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celestial_Cavalier

Postby Bj_Knows » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Th8rgoddess wrote:There is a balance issue between the two types of attacks, where it made my character ineffective in certain zones, even if she is a higher level then is reccomended for that zone. Am I the only one having thus issue?

Overview:
I recommend Fire War Mage or De-Buff War Mage for Frozen Vale.
I recommend the De-Buff War Mage for Dragonmoor.
If you are playing a Fire War Mage, I recommend you spend the $0.20 USD for 2 gold shields to reset abilities to De-Buff War Mage in Dragonmoor then reset abilities back to Fire War Mage when you are done.

Data:
No, others have had problems with the current War Mage abilities.

Fire War Mage with Staff or Axe / Shield versus Ice Lord Vallus: War Mage: Split Personality? ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthrea ... ost2165319 ).
“-
Interestingly all [three Touch Arcade Forum] War Mage players seem to like Flaming Pyre 3, Inner Focus 3, Hasten 3 and Time Void 1.
Both Fire War Mages seem to like Incinerate 3 and Fire Fracture 3.
[none of the three] picked Ice Fracture.
If you are playing a War Mage, you might want to check this information against your ability choices.
-“

De-Buff War Mage Abilities and Tactics: De-Buff War Mage ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthrea ... ost2163035 )
“-
In Dragonmoor, Frozen Shard, Ice Storm and Frost Rune do extra damage versus Flame Creatures. A critical hit with one of these does even more damage. Ice Creatures in the Frozen Vale take *less* damage from Incinerate, Flaming Pyre, and Fire Rune. (Typist: whacking 'em with a pointy stick still works, though.)
. . .
My free ($0 IAP) Level 20 [De-Buff War] Mage is currently using the following abilities:

Tier 1
1/3 Incinerate 1
3/3 Frozen Shard 3
3/3 Arcane Barrier 3
3/3 Flaming Pyre 3

Tier 2
0/3 Combustion 0
1/3 Icy Grasp 1
2/3 Ice Storm 2
3/3 Inner Focus 3

Tier 3
0/3 Fire Fracture 0
0/3 Ice Fracture 0
3/3 Hasten 3
1/3 Time Void 1
-“

Japster's Fire Mage
"-
Tier 1
3/3 Incinerate 3
1/3 Frozen Shard 1
1/3 Arcane Barrier 1
3/3 Flaming Pyre 3

Tier 2
1/3 Combustion 1
1/3 Icy Grasp 1
0/3 Ice Storm 0
3/3 Inner Focus 3

Tier 3
3/3 Fire Fracture 3
0/3 Ice Fracture 0
3/3 Hasten 3
1/3 Time Void 1
-"

Fire War Mage with Staff or Axe / Shield versus Ice Lord Vallus: War Mage: Split Personality? ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthrea ... ost2165319 ).
“-
One of the problems with playing a War Mage as your first exposure to Book of Heroes is the combination of Fire abilities and Ice abilities. Justicars are mostly melee with spirit attacks. Shadow Walkers are melee mixed with nature attacks. The War Mage class is really two classes: Fire Mage and Ice Mage. Unless you specialize in either Fire abilities or Ice abilities, it is easy to become discouraged.
-“

For “Tactics, Strategy: Classes, Enchantments, Named Weapons, Abilities” you can go to this URL for more information:
( viewtopic.php?f=13&t=160 )
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Postby Celestial_Cavalier » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 am

I retrained my War Mage using Japster's build and I'm very happy with it. It used to take me around 15 minutes to finish the Ice Dungeon but now it's taking less than half that time. Definitely worth the one gold shield spent.
Celestial_Cavalier

Postby Th8rgoddess » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Thank you for all the information, I'll make sure to look at it when I'm actually at a computer.

BjofCJandBj wrote:“-One of the problems with playing a War Mage as your first exposure to Book of Heroes is the combination of Fire abilities and Ice abilities. Justicars are mostly melee with spirit attacks. Shadow Walkers are melee mixed with nature attacks. The War Mage class is really two classes: Fire Mage and Ice Mage. Unless you specialize in either Fire abilities or Ice abilities, it is easy to become discouraged.
-“

That puts into words my main problem with the class. To borrow some termonology from D&D, it's almost like the War Mage is a strange, slightly dysfunctional, hybrid of a striker class & a controller.
Th8rgoddess

Return to Discussions