"Gem or No Gem" or Buying a Tier 4 Gem First

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

"Gem or No Gem" or Buying a Tier 4 Gem First

Postby Bj_Knows » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 am

If you have Tier 10 items and Tier 2 Gems, should you use your Knight Valor to first buy a Tier 4 Gem? This topic/ thread will discuss that.

Note: This topic is originally for v1.4, see end posts for v1.5 update.

Tier 3 Upgrade
Currently the cost of upgrading a Tier 2 Gem to Tier 3 is $2 USD or running Attack at Dawn for 13.6 hours. It would seem inexpensive to pay $2 USD to upgrade, but some people are forbidden In App Purchases. These people can run Attack at Dawn or another Soldier Valor(SV) Raid.

Math Subsection:
Gross pay U.S. minimum wage $7.25/ hour or 16 minutes to earn a Tier 3 Gem from Majerio's Shop ($2 USD). At 50% net pay, 33 minutes.
Attack at Dawn is 120 minutes, with Max Energy (42) you would have to run it 6.8 times, for 13.6 hours, to earn a Tier 3 Gem. Or burning $20 USD in Gold Shields to earn a Tier 3 Gem.
Cursed Keep is 120 minutes, with Max Energy (42) you would have to run it 13.6 times, for 27.2 hours, to earn a Tier 4 Gem or burning $40 USD in Gold Shields to earn a Tier 4 Gem
(see viewtopic.php?p=5530#p5530 for Metrics)

Research Note: Max Energy (42) = 105 minutes of energy regeneration.

Buyer’s Remorse or Pick 1 Stat
Currently you must pick 1 Stat for each Tier 4 Gems (ex: Tier 4 Haste Gem). If you later decide not to keep the Tier 4 Gem, you can sell it for Silver Coin, *but* not the Knight Valor(KV) used to purchase it. However, if you buy a Tier 11 Helm, it works with any Augment Gem. If you change your mind about your Tier 11 Helm’s Tier 3 Haste Gem, you can spend $2 USD at Majerio’s and buy a Tier 3 Crit Gem.

Full Disclosure: Recently, War Mage LilAngel - winner of 3 Gold Medals in the Glenfort Games - convinced my War Mage Agatha to swap a bunch of Tier 3 Gems for a bunch of Tier 3 Magic Gems. Agatha got these new Tier 3 Magic Gems from Soldier Valor (SV), Boss Drops and Gold Shields spent at Majerio’s Shop. Boss Drops only include Tier 2 & Tier 3 Gems not Tier 4. You *cannot* spend Gold Shields at Majerio’s Shop to buy Tier 4 Gems. It would have taken much longer to finish, if I was replacing Tier 4 Gems with Tier 4 Magic Gems, since I would be limited to Knight Valor(Raids) and Alchemist Lockbox. [Typist's Note: LilAngel has no real concept of "money", she just likes shiny things, so Agatha really didn't stand a chance.]

Full Tier 11 Items vs. 6.47 Tier 4 Gems vs. 12.94 Tier 3 Gems
Running Cursed Keep 88 times, for 176 hours, will earn all Tier 11 Items for a Shadow Walker (Full T11 Items). Alternatively, burning $258.8 USD in Gold Shields during Cursed Keep will earn Full Tier 11 Items OR 6.47 T4 Gems. Running Attack at Dawn for the same amount of time would earn 12.94 Tier 3 Gems. If you cannot buy In App Purchases for Tier 3 Gems, consider running 1 Attack at Dawn for each Cursed Keep. This will get you the rest of your Tier 3 Gems, and Full Tier 11 Items. (Full Disclosure: Deathwing Raiders used this approach; it allows everyone to eventually hit Vallus (and beyond) for free).

Shadow Walker Tier 11 Items
Item Name Knight Valor(KV)= hours of Cursed Keep
- > Helm 1,493= 13.5 hours of Cursed Keep
- > Amulet 2,090= 18.95 hours of Cursed Keep
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Cursed Keep, 1 of 40 Tier 4 Gems)
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Attack at Dawn, 2 of 40 Tier 3 Gems)
- > Ring 2,090= 18.95 hours of Cursed Keep
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Cursed Keep, 2 of 40 Tier 4 Gems)
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Attack at Dawn, 4 of 40 Tier 3 Gems)
- > Boots 1,195= 10.84 hours of Cursed Keep
- > Hand 1,195= 10.84 hours of Cursed Keep
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Cursed Keep, 3 of 40 Tier 4 Gems)
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Attack at Dawn, 6 of 40 Tier 3 Gems)
- > Legs 2,090= 18.95 hours of Cursed Keep
- > Shield 1,493= 13.5 hours of Cursed Keep
- - - OR
- > Dagger 1,493= 13.5 hours of Cursed Keep
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Cursed Keep, 4 of 40 Tier 4 Gems)
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Attack at Dawn, 8 of 40 Tier 3 Gems)
- > Torso 2,986= 27.08 hours of Cursed Keep
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Cursed Keep, 5 of 40 Tier 4 Gems)
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Attack at Dawn, 10 of 40 Tier 3 Gems)
- > Cape 1,792= 16.25 hours of Cursed Keep
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Cursed Keep, 6 of 40 Tier 4 Gems)
(alternately, 27.2 hours of Attack at Dawn, 12 of 40 Tier 3 Gems)
- > Main Hand Weapon 2,986= 27.08 hours of Cursed Keep

Total 176 hours (not counting 42 energy regeneration), or burning $258.8 USD in Gold Shields during Raids, for Full Tier 11 Items Shadow Walker or 6.47 Tier 4 Gems or 12.94 Tier 3 Gems

You only need enough Might Rating to get into your Guild’s highest Raid. If you Merc, you only need 10,250 Might Rating.

If you are allowed In App Purchases, but do not own a Credit Card, iTunes Gift Cards can be bought for cash at many retailers, or requested for Birthdays. In fact, my iPod touch has no Credit Card attached to it, but I can still buy eBooks through Gift Cards.

Reminder: 20 Gold Shields cost $2 USD (or $0.1 USD per Gold Shield). If you save up your Real World Money, during a Currency Sale you get 900 Gold Shields for $50 USD or 400 free Gold Shields [900gs - ($50 * $0.1)]= 400 free. 400 free Gold Shields will buy 20 Tier 3 Gems from Majerio’s Shop. These Gold Shields are in the User Account’s Currency Bank, thus any character on the account can use them.

MY PERSONAL OPINION
When I got my last Tier 11 Item, my Shadow Walker and my Justicar had 10,250+ Might Rating due to Hero Tokens they have won in Raids. Both characters currently have a saved 10% Discount (Blessing of Commerce II) and saved 6,000+ Knight Valor(KV). In “War of Fellmarsh” My Justicar can get 1.9 to 4.1 Kills Per Minute (depending on Phase and Critical Hits), and 4 Encounters per 4 energy in Phase 4 Onslaught.
As of today, Sunday, the 21st of October, I do not plan to buy any Tier 4 Gems. [Typist's Note: I don't get this. T4 gems are SO SHINY!!]

Full Disclosure: If my War Mage gets all Tier 11 Items and reaches 10,250 Might Rating before Tier Items and Augment Gems are updated, I may buy 1-4 Tier 4 Magic Gems.

I often spend USD (Gold Shields) and Silver Coin (Minor Spirit Runes) to help Deathwing Raiders, or friends in other Guilds, finish a Raid.
I often spend USD to answer Research Questions in BoH. In the Old Days I bought CJ a Named Weapon (Deathwing) and Named Armor (Phoenix Armor) to answer a Research Question.
I bet CJ $10 USD she could not get a Tier 4 Gem in 48 hours.
She won.
However, I got to see what a Tier 4 Magic Gem looked like in a Gem Slot and how it effected her character's KPM.
I lost the bet, but I got to answer several Research Question.
[Typist's Note: I AM BUT A GUINEA PIG. That gambles, apparently.]

I am still actively Farming and Raiding, but currently I am saving all my currency [Silver Coin, Soldier Valor(SV) and Knight Valor(KV)] to see what v1.5 brings.

Tags: BasicFAQ, AdvancedFAQ, MightRatingFAQ, SoldierValorGear, KnightValorGear, GoldShieldGear
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Re: "Gem or No Gem" or Buying a Tier 4 Gem First

Postby NikoNarf_1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I agree that buying a t4 (+8) gem greatly reduces flexibility, whereas t11 gear can be used with any gem combination. The only reason (and it is a good reason) to buy the t4 gem before any t11 gear would be to increase might faster to get into your guild's highest raid. I faced this with two of my alternate characters, and chose to purchase t4 gems to get them caught up to my guild's highest raid.
NikoNarf_1

Postby Khaz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:58 am

Although I don't want to over-glorify the time and effort you put into publishing this material as it is likely unhealthy, I definitely wanna let you know how appreciated it is. I mean...talk about comprehensive.

Not trying to derail the forum but I'm curious if you write guides for any other MMO's. Or games in general. Or other "how to do {insert anything here}, and how to do it well" sort of stuff.

BTW: Please take it easy on the squirrels. They are one of God's "incomplete" projects and deserve an amount of respect and compassion that considers their limited faculties. Perhaps you could spend some of your resources helping design some sort of invisible fencing technology similar to what we use to contain our pets in our yards, but for squirrels, that is easily installed along the borders of every roadway across the nation. I truly feel that you would find this sort of undertaking very rewarding and fulfilling.

PS: I have a prototype of the voltage administering unit that would need to be successfully installed on, or in, each squirrel and would be happy to send you copies of my design. I've estimated the cost for each unit (parts, assembly, and production) at around $6,000/unit USD. I will also include several squirrels prefitted with the unit (as a working sales model) with my design.

Please don't let me down. I'm becoming more and more elated and excited with anxious energy with every word I type. I've never felt so truly purposeful. It feels like divine guidance, except more in my pants area. (Let me know if you know what I mean).

PPS: I have completely derailed the OP, but I know you understand.

Love,
Me.
Khaz

Postby Rghar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Khaz, you are awesome. You have "summed up" my feelings exactly!
Rghar

Might: Enchants, Gem and Gear

Postby Bj_Knows » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

FT_NikoNarf wrote:The only reason (and it is a good reason) to buy the t4 gem before any t11 gear would be to increase might faster to get into your guild's highest raid.

Update for v1.5: The addition of Runic Enchantments adds a high level strategy. Enchants increase a player's Might Rating. Advanced players may want to enchant Tier 14 Bracers, Boots and Cape with Rank 4-6 enchantments. Then just keep these items when Tier 16 are available, and use a Transfer Plate when Tier 18 is added to the game.

This and other high level strategies means Tier 5 Gems may be a better bet for raising might then gear. This will also apply to Tier 6 & Tier 7 Gems when they become available.
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Return to Discussions