War Mage order of operations

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Re: War Mage order of operations

Postby Darksideofman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Darksideofman wrote:So you would generally cast combustion first then buffs because in the other order combustion would fire off most times after buffs wore off?

As you can see Mr ignorance is bliss, I stated a question and then stated what I do that works for me. I never said that my way was the best, only that it worked for me. Maybe you should read threads accurately before making asinine comments as you have done this so far in several threads I have placed and remarked upon. Lastly, i would suspect that if you have been called names like that often then maybe you should do a little self evaluation and find iut why so mnay come to the same summation. Please have a nice day and remember an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Darksideofman

Postby routters » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 pm

At early levels, Combustion was the only way I stood a chance against bosses.

At mid levels, I used this Boss rotation: Icy Grasp, Combustion, fractures, self-buffs (hasten, barrier, focus), attack spells. I would alternate between Icy Grasp and Time Void at the last possible moment to interrupt enemy attacks, ignoring enemy buff and debuffs.

After putting a ton of Hero Tokens and Gems into Haste, all spells are as fast as they're going to get. The new favorite is Inner Focus, then attack spells with interrupts interspersed. Bosses get the same rotation, plus Combustion at the outset as an insurance policy against lousy Crit rolls.
routters

Postby Hotasfire0Coolasice » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Once again, I don't care what you think Mr. High And Mighty. You overreacted to my post and making an @$$ out of yourself. I simply explained that I've seen this before and I was saying how you ignored my information that was there to help. Self evaluation? Are you my therapist? Nobody is perfect buddy, just because you can't understand my point doesn't mean you can call me an @$$ and tell me I need to evaluate myself. I don't know who the heck you think you are, but that's a little too far buddy. Have a nice day, and remember, you should evaluate yourself too and what your saying.
Hotasfire0Coolasice

Postby Musketeer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 pm

What you do will vary depending on your level. I am level 25 and might >11,000, so bear this in mind while reading my rotation below, but really once you can hit the high level raids the same should be true.

I gave up using barrier very early because it just allowed more time for the enemy to hit me, and since reaching maximum haste bonus with gems, hero tokens and guild Favor (the 7th one your guild can attain). Fortunately you can now drop barrier and use that skill point elsewhere at level 4, since so many people complained how useless it was.

I use Inner Focus first every single battle, unless the enemy is using a short time attack - then I Icy Grasp him, while casting Ice and Fire Fracture and Inner Focus.

Then it's in with the spells. If the boss or mob is Fire weak (e.g. Ice Lord Vallus) then I use the fire spells for damage, but use ice to slow if necessary, or if fire didn't finish the mob. For Fire Resistant groups and bosses (e.g. Cerberus and the Guardian Dragon in the Cursed Keep) I use ice first. I gave up on combustion too, as it never went off before the battle was over. I use Time Void at level 3 to interrupt mobs to avoid hits, and on a boss when necessary.

My mage carries sword and shield because I liek to be fast. Others argue that staff is the way to go, as you do more damage, but you get hit more. With sword and shield I can go whole raids without receiving a hit, because magic never misses so you ccan predict exactly will happen throguh the battle.

I like to think of my mage as a cold, calculating fighting machine, whereas my Justicar is more hot-blooded hit and hope, because he can get blocked, and nothing annoys you more than a blocked stun attack. Shadow Warriors are just sneaky.
Musketeer

Postby Darksideofman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:56 pm

You know I will not take the time to copy quotes of previous statements because honestly is doesn't seem you read them anyway. I will say that I did not overreact to your comment. I posted a question and a statement on how I played the game in an effort to help another player. I never said my way was right nor did I ellude to it. I was simply stating my opinion. Now we can dance around this as much as you want but bottom line is you gave a smug know-it-all answer all to common in this type of game. People who spend every waking hour playing a game, finding all of its little secrets tend to have a flippant attitude towards newer players. This is not really your fault I guess, you are just a product of your obsession. A common malady of those who play games religiously. However at the end of the day this is just a game. Maybe it would do you better to keep in mind in the future that thier are people who have not devoted the hours that you have and that maybe they just need a little honest help instead of the curt answer you tend to give. I am not saying it was your intention to do so but it came off as being a prick. Especially when your comment had shown a total lack of having fully read my previous statement. I have played games like this for many years and have spoken to many different types of players, you are no different I'm sure. The difference is I generally try to help other players, you SEEM not to with the answers you give. Honestly, if your intention is not to help players who request it then why even visit the forums. Case in point, my ranger thread. Instead of enlightening me to how the percentages for skills work, you just shut every bit of it down in a rather rude way. I am not the first you have done this to either. Again I am not saying this was your intention but as they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." So, I hope you actually read this post and do some self evaluation because I think do genuinely feel your intentions are good but the way you go about it needs to change. Have a nice day and make sure brush your teeth at least twice a day.
Darksideofman

Postby routters » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 am

Motel 6 has great rates. You two should get a room and figure out whose is larger there!
routters

Postby Darksideofman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:50 pm

routters wrote:Motel 6 has great rates. You two should get a room and figure out whose is larger there!

lol, I like that! Oh no! We have spectators!
Darksideofman

Postby Schizo001 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Pfaff wrote:What you do will vary depending on your level. I am level 25 and might >11,000, so bear this in mind while reading my rotation below, but really once you can hit the high level raids the same should be true.

I gave up using barrier very early because it just allowed more time for the enemy to hit me, and since reaching maximum haste bonus with gems, hero tokens and guild Favor (the 7th one your guild can attain). Fortunately you can now drop barrier and use that skill point elsewhere at level 4, since so many people complained how useless it was.

I use Inner Focus first every single battle, unless the enemy is using a short time attack - then I Icy Grasp him, while casting Ice and Fire Fracture and Inner Focus.

Then it's in with the spells. If the boss or mob is Fire weak (e.g. Ice Lord Vallus) then I use the fire spells for damage, but use ice to slow if necessary, or if fire didn't finish the mob. For Fire Resistant groups and bosses (e.g. Cerberus and the Guardian Dragon in the Cursed Keep) I use ice first. I gave up on combustion too, as it never went off before the battle was over. I use Time Void at level 3 to interrupt mobs to avoid hits, and on a boss when necessary.

My mage carries sword and shield because I liek to be fast. Others argue that staff is the way to go, as you do more damage, but you get hit more. With sword and shield I can go whole raids without receiving a hit, because magic never misses so you ccan predict exactly will happen throguh the battle.

I like to think of my mage as a cold, calculating fighting machine, whereas my Justicar is more hot-blooded hit and hope, because he can get blocked, and nothing annoys you more than a blocked stun attack. Shadow Warriors are just sneaky.

Quick question if you don't mind. How many points do you have specced into the spells you use? Thanks very much in advance for the information. I have been trying to figure out how to build my warmage ad the combos I should use.
Schizo001

Postby Musketeer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 am

Schizo001 wrote:Quick question if you don't mind. How many points do you have specced into the spells you use? Thanks very much in advance for the information. I have been trying to figure out how to build my warmage ad the combos I should use.

Everything is lvl 3 except Icy Grasp, where 1 point is all you need, as with all stun spells or effects on any character type. If more points in Icy Grasp made it either quicker or more damaging it might be useful, but 3 seconds pause is more than enough to cast both Fracture spells and then a damage spell while a boss is stunned.

Spells:
Inner Focus 3 (.25sec), always first unless someone's about to hit you in less than .25 seconds. They rarely are.
Ice Fracture 3 (.25), Frozen Shard 3(.4), Ice Storm 3(.5), Icy Grasp 1 (.25)
Fire Fracture 3(.25), Incinerate 3(.5), Flaming Pyre 3 (.6)
Time Void 3 (.05)

Incinerate does 175% damage, all other damaging spells are 100% except Icy Grasp 40%.

Thus Ice spells are slightly quicker than their fire counterparts, and have a slowing function. Ice storm is EXACTLY the same effect as Frozen Shard except it can hit multiple foes and takes .01 seconds more to cast.

Incinerate is usually the most damaging spell so you want to use it as often as possible, except against Fire resistant foes where you will find Ice spells actually damage more, plus they're quicker to cast and have the slow effect.

My general rotation is Inner Focus, Ice Fracture, Frozen Shard or Ice Storm (depends on whether you're facing single or multiple foes) - then check their timers to see if you can get in another damaging spell. If not then Icy Grasp them and cast Fire Fracture while they are stunned, or cast Time Void if more than one alive or <.25 seconds on anyone's timer and use Flaming Pyre. Sometimes you can cast Time Void, the Fire Fracture and Flaming Pyre before they can hit you.

Vs Guardian Dragon and Cerberus I rarely need fire spells. Rotation is (ideally) Inner Focus, Ice Fracture, Frozen Shard, Ice Storm, Frozen Shard (again, it's that quick to reset), Icy Grasp, Fire Fracture, Frozen Shard (yup, it's ready again), and finally Incinerate to finish if he isn't already dead. I could probably whack him with my sword at this point to finish in style, but Incinerate takes the same time for 175% damage, and with Fire Fracture counteracting his fire resistance Incinerate is still better damage.

Flaming Pyre is the slowest spell and if the enemy dies before the DOT effect hits you gained nothing extra from the slower casting time, so I prefer Ice Storm against mobs, unless they are ice resistant.

I used to use my sword basic attack against some bosses as part of my rotation, but now I'm so heavily Magic Gemmed that it's not necessary anymore. That was also before they shorted the cooldown timers on the spells. Now if you have none of your major 4 damage spells ready to cast you messed up somewhere.

The coolest thing about mages is they never miss, so there's no unpleasant surprises like you get with a Justicar or Shadow Walker when a stun or ensnare is blocked.
Musketeer

Postby GioRGiO » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:38 am

Pfaff wrote:Everything is lvl 3 except Icy Grasp, where 1 point is all you need, as with all stun spells or effects on any character type. If more points in Icy Grasp made it either quicker or more damaging it might be useful, but 3 seconds pause is more than enough to cast both Fracture spells and then a damage spell while a boss is stunned.

Spells:
Inner Focus 3 (.25sec), always first unless someone's about to hit you in less than .25 seconds. They rarely are.
Ice Fracture 3 (.25), Frozen Shard 3(.4), Ice Storm 3(.5), Icy Grasp 1 (.25)
Fire Fracture 3(.25), Incinerate 3(.5), Flaming Pyre 3 (.6)
Time Void 3 (.05)

Incinerate does 175% damage, all other damaging spells are 100% except Icy Grasp 40%.

Thus Ice spells are slightly quicker than their fire counterparts, and have a slowing function. Ice storm is EXACTLY the same effect as Frozen Shard except it can hit multiple foes and takes .01 seconds more to cast.

Incinerate is usually the most damaging spell so you want to use it as often as possible, except against Fire resistant foes where you will find Ice spells actually damage more, plus they're quicker to cast and have the slow effect.

My general rotation is Inner Focus, Ice Fracture, Frozen Shard or Ice Storm (depends on whether you're facing single or multiple foes) - then check their timers to see if you can get in another damaging spell. If not then Icy Grasp them and cast Fire Fracture while they are stunned, or cast Time Void if more than one alive or <.25 seconds on anyone's timer and use Flaming Pyre. Sometimes you can cast Time Void, the Fire Fracture and Flaming Pyre before they can hit you.

Vs Guardian Dragon and Cerberus I rarely need fire spells. Rotation is (ideally) Inner Focus, Ice Fracture, Frozen Shard, Ice Storm, Frozen Shard (again, it's that quick to reset), Icy Grasp, Fire Fracture, Frozen Shard (yup, it's ready again), and finally Incinerate to finish if he isn't already dead. I could probably whack him with my sword at this point to finish in style, but Incinerate takes the same time for 175% damage, and with Fire Fracture counteracting his fire resistance Incinerate is still better damage.

Flaming Pyre is the slowest spell and if the enemy dies before the DOT effect hits you gained nothing extra from the slower casting time, so I prefer Ice Storm against mobs, unless they are ice resistant.

I used to use my sword basic attack against some bosses as part of my rotation, but now I'm so heavily Magic Gemmed that it's not necessary anymore. That was also before they shorted the cooldown timers on the spells. Now if you have none of your major 4 damage spells ready to cast you messed up somewhere.

The coolest thing about mages is they never miss, so there's no unpleasant surprises like you get with a Justicar or Shadow Walker when a stun or ensnare is blocked.

I agree with everything you said pffaf but I do a few things differently more out of preference than anything else but I thought ppl may like to hear what a 2h weapon user does :)

Firstly I want to clarify that If you do use combustion. Make sure you use inner focus first. It won't give you the extra damage if you do it the other way around. I suggest a combo as follows:
Inner focus > combustion > fire fracture.
This will allow you to get the maximum damage with your combustion attack. Saying that tho, I don't use combustion normally. When onslaught came out it helped to give me 2 extra kills per boss wave but other than in that particular instance I take my ability points off it.

The main reason I use a 2h is for Max damage and because it also saves not only the silver to unlock the other hand gem slots, I also dont have to upgrade 4 extra gems to lvl4 = easier might gain.

I also don't get hit during raids because I can kill almost anything (including bosses) in one crit attack.

The combos I use:

-for mobs in all dungeons or raids except vallus and ck:
Inner focus>ice fracture>ice storm
(if unlucky you may need to finish with a flaming pyre)

-For bosses in all dungeons or raids except vallus or ck:
Inner focus>fire fracture>incinerate
(if unlucky with crit you may have to add a frozen shard and/or icy storm to finish)

-For vallus mobs:
Inner focus>fire fracture> flaming pyre
(if unlucky you may have to finish with an ice storm or fire rune)

-For vallus:
Inner focus>fire fracture> incinerate
(if unlucky you may have to finish with a flaming pyre and/or any rune other than ice)

-For ck mobs:
Inner focus>ice fracture>ice storm
(if unlucky finish with flaming pyre)

-For ck:
Inner focus>ice fracture>frozen shard>ice storm
(if unlucky you may need to finish with another frozen shard and or any tune except fire)

If for some reason you find you want to kill things super fast and don't mind wasting silver (eg if you were racing someone) I would use this combo (or a version of it depending on which raid you are doing)

Rune>ice storm or flaming pyre

Because I have a big magic bonus to save time sometimes I just use a rune right off the bat for mobs and can kill them all without casting any spells :) if I'm unlucky one or two may survive with only a little bit of health left which i finish off with ice storm.

*NOTE*
If your enemies start fast you may have to interupt with a time void or break rune to avoid taking any damage.

To put thing into context here are my main build notes:
My main is a lvl25 WM with 15.6k might. I have all t11 gear and lvl4 gems. I have maxed the tomes for magic, crit, haste, crit pwr and dodge (i.e.+792). Also i've capped my haste, crit, and crit pwr stats, with magic not having a hard cap I have got my bonus upto 423 (without buffs).
GioRGiO

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions