Were-Chef Event

News for Book of Heroes.

Re: Were-Chef Event

Postby InsertNameHere » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 am

Derrin_Watson wrote:Yes. I had a toon adversely affected by the error. So I spent less than $2 and dealt with it. Oh, the commerce 2 elixir, being replaced by a new one this week, doesn't hurt a thing.

It's not the end of the world but it isn't worth a lot of commentary. Chem says that they've learned from it and will try not to have it happen again. That's about all we can expect, folks. As a GM of an international guild, I can easily appreciate the problem with time zones. Not everything is worth free shields or free e pots or free gear or whatever other freebie you want to name.

Let's move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

Could not disagree more. You are saying that it is not only acceptable, but laudable, to financially reward a company for mishandling a promotional event. That's the attitude we see from banks and politicians.
It might be only $2 to you, but I'm sure it would be more for others, per avatar - and if plenty of people do so, that's a nice little windfall for R2. What about players who don't have access to $ to spend on freemium games, such as minors? Unless their mom ir dad lends them a visa, they're stuck, and the event becomes a disappointment.

I agree it's not the end of the world, but it is a legitimate issue and should not be dismissed so lightly just because you happen to be an international gm happy to pay $ to make up for R2's mistakes. It's hardly the first time there have been issues with event timings - there were similar incidents when I played previously prior to a 9 month break. That they continue to happen now gives me no confidence that 'lessons will be learned'.

The question would then be what I would suggest - and that would have been a universal 4 event currency boost, to make up for a lost spawn full bar worth of energy. Add a reduction to 4 Gold Bars in the event shop per event currency to bring that in line with the Gold Bar cost for replenishing energy during the event (8 Gold Bars = 24;energy = 2 event currency, so 4 Gold Bars per 1 event currency).
Obviously that would have needed to have been done immediately, as many would have since used their event currency in the meantime, and it would be pointless to do now. But a little thought ahead of time would have prevented this error being such an issue.
InsertNameHere

Postby Derrin_Watson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 am

Let me suggest a different lesson that should be learned. Don't wait until the last minute. Here, if you are waiting until the last spawn to earn what you need, there is not only the risk of a programming or communication flaw, but also a greater risk that more important life events will overtake your plans to get a few more bits of silverware. It wasn't bad for me because I was done with the event on most of my toons, and decided at the last minute to push one remaining character. But, so often in life, putting things off results in disappointment.
Derrin_Watson

Postby Illy_the_Red » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:34 am

Derrin_Watson wrote:Yes. I had a toon adversely affected by the error. So I spent less than $2 and dealt with it. Oh, the commerce 2 elixir, being replaced by a new one this week, doesn't hurt a thing.

It's not the end of the world but it isn't worth a lot of commentary. Chem says that they've learned from it and will try not to have it happen again. That's about all we can expect, folks. As a GM of an international guild, I can easily appreciate the problem with time zones. Not everything is worth free shields or free e pots or free gear or whatever other freebie you want to name.

Let's move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

Actually, it is worth some commentary. There were mistakes made in timings last year and virtually the same happened again. So I welcome that it's actually going to be looked at, because little errors like that undermine Quality. Each one is not much but they add up. I always wonder about game (mostly console/PC) QA and how it's actually done.

I didn't have a toon that was affected, but I could easily have been if I was relying on the last 1-2 spawns. Some people that play are kids and can't just decide to spend anything because their parents don't give them a free pass on games with IAP.
Illy_the_Red

Postby InsertNameHere » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:30 am

Derrin_Watson wrote:Let me suggest a different lesson that should be learned. Don't wait until the last minute. Here, if you are waiting until the last spawn to earn what you need, there is not only the risk of a programming or communication flaw, but also a greater risk that more important life events will overtake your plans to get a few more bits of silverware. It wasn't bad for me because I was done with the event on most of my toons, and decided at the last minute to push one remaining character. But, so often in life, putting things off results in disappointment.

I would suggest that if someone puts something off and then is not able to complete due to (eg) RL events overtaking or not having enough tine to complete, it's on them. If they are not able to complete due to the company ending the promo early, it's on the company.
InsertNameHere

Postby Bimbosigliere » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:14 am

DELETED
Last edited by Bimbosigliere on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bimbosigliere

Postby InsertNameHere » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:23 am

Good advice from the Bims as per usual. Shutting up and heading to under the serf table (not worthy of a chair) as of now!
InsertNameHere

Postby Opie0304 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 am

BIMS, Solid advice. It would b rude to flat out call anyone an idiot so I won't mention Derrin by name. Other than no shards, early termination of event & possibly nobody getting t19 from lockbox, solid event.
Opie0304

Postby My_Starlight » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 am

Peaches_Jersey3200 wrote:Did anyone have the tier 19 drop from lockbox? I would love to hear how many were lucky enough to receive it, if any at all.

Of my 3 toons I was lucky enough to get the T19 helm on my SW. After opening roughly 100-150 lockboxes per toon I got a few Old Frying Pans and Chef's Toques.

From the event and lockboxes, it is nice to have a full supply of Deviled Eggs, Rotten Tomatoes and Spinach mixed in with a few pieces of Bacon and Pepper Shakers!
My_Starlight

Postby Derrin_Watson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:12 pm

The focus of my earlier comments was the early termination. You are correct, of course. Venan has a track record of errors on events. This one is no exception with what Chem has admitted were at least two separate programming failures regarding shards, and two distinct errors in communications (one relating to shards and one relating to spawns).

I knew the shards weren't working over a week ago. I suspect most players did. And I chose to do the event anyway because of the other things it offered.

I prefer to have the events, with the (generally minor) flaws that exist, than not to have them. Perfection in execution happens sometimes, but cannot be assumed. They are generally a fun break regardless, and I feel recharged by this last event.

Much as we might want it otherwise, developer time seems to be extremely limited. I prefer them to spend that time working on new raids and other features I will use every day, rather than swatting every last bug on an event that will disappear in a week. And so I don't sweat the small stuff.
Derrin_Watson

Postby Bbbb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:08 pm

First, I was not effected by the early termination of the event and had sold off all my silverware before the problem occurred so I have no skin in this problem. However, it would have been a reasonable gesture if Venan had thrown some silverware at people who were logged in at the time of the failed spawn (I know this isn't perfect but the best idea I could come up with). Another acceptable approach would have been to announce that they were doing an extra spawn exactly 24 hours after the missed one and then extend the store hours. I know if I had been at 95 silverware and then the spawn failed, I would be furious.
Bbbb

Previous

Return to Latest News