Weekly Quests!

News for Book of Heroes.

Re: Weekly Quests!

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:26 pm

CheMClarc wrote:Any feedback for this PvP event?

I would say, keep clear of 'win x matches' as a quest goal. You want people to PvP - participation quests do this and don't penalise anyone. If people think they won't get to 10 or 20 wins, they may not do them at all. Stick to participation counts.
Illy_the_Red

Postby Deanna » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:02 pm

I would have to agree with Ilyana, participation quests would have more people trying to complete than the wins , because the chances of winning is very slim . That I can attest for myself I've too many toons and not enough time to waste for " lucky wins ."
Deanna

Postby DreamingDæmon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Ilyana wrote:

I would say, keep clear of 'win x matches' as a quest goal. You want people to PvP - participation quests do this and don't penalise anyone. If people think they won't get to 10 or 20 wins, they may not do them at all. Stick to participation counts.

To be fair, that was the last one and I expect to see an alternation between "do 10/20/40" and "win 5/10/20" for the pvp weekly.
I know a lot of people went into the "do x matches" event with no intention at all to do PvP "properly" (I'm guilty - I did 160 matches no gear aiming to lose as quickly as possible across 4 toons and stopped).
Alternating keeps participation high, allows people who find winning tricky (due to might, time, or lack of pvp experience / enthusiasm) to get some rewards from the "win x matches" and all from the "do x matches".
Assuming the 50% win rate is in the right ballpark, 20 wins can be achieved across 5 days (the event participation timeframe) with 4 wins / day, which is average 8 matches / day - not a massive time demand, and requiring zero $. Even if your win % is low, I'd be surprised at anyone needing to play more than 60 matches to get the 20 wins - which is only 3 sets of 4 matches per day.

I'm no cheerleader for PvP events, but the balance on this one feels as right as it can be.
DreamingDæmon

Postby Bbbb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

First, I have completed it on all toons. I'm of very mixed feelings on this one as a PvP hater. Do I hate it any more or less than the participation quest? Can't say. My toons were ranked lower than they should be (my doing) so I racked up wins quickly and I was using PvE builds. To balance it out, I am throwing matches now that I'm done to help others.

I do want to say that one player who hadn't played in many many months returned. He was 0-6 to start his PvP on this quest and may have packed it in....
Bbbb

Postby Lamorack » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:46 pm

My observation is that it sucks toons from PVE to PVP time. It weakens PVE raiding. As a result, the answer is surely whether it has a larger lasting upside for PVP activity than it does a downside for PVE?

Speaking personally, I regard the two interests as conflicting--most players don't have time or inclination to take both seriously. As a result, both are weaker than their potential in isolation.

Sadly, I fear that the development investment into PVP has delayed the expansion of PVE over the last year or more. I think that will prove a major spur for player that pay to leave BOH. Failure to build PVE and concern over balancing for PVP purposes will, I think, prove to have weakened the game (and revenue stream).

I should state that I read and chose not to accept the PVP quests. I came for PVE, and my opinion certainly reflects that.
Lamorack

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:42 pm

DreamingDæmon wrote:
Ilyana wrote:

To be fair, that was the last one and I expect to see an alternation between "do 10/20/40" and "win 5/10/20" for the pvp weekly.
I know a lot of people went into the "do x matches" event with no intention at all to do PvP "properly" (I'm guilty - I did 160 matches no gear aiming to lose as quickly as possible across 4 toons and stopped).
Alternating keeps participation high, allows people who find winning tricky (due to might, time, or lack of pvp experience / enthusiasm) to get some rewards from the "win x matches" and all from the "do x matches".
Assuming the 50% win rate is in the right ballpark, 20 wins can be achieved across 5 days (the event participation timeframe) with 4 wins / day, which is average 8 matches / day - not a massive time demand, and requiring zero $. Even if your win % is low, I'd be surprised at anyone needing to play more than 60 matches to get the 20 wins - which is only 3 sets of 4 matches per day.

I'm no cheerleader for PvP events, but the balance on this one feels as right as it can be.

I don't see any reason whatsoever to have it as wins rather than participation.

50% assumes you have pvp'd before and your ranking is correct. It also assumes you can create a competitive build. People new to PvP may be switched off to the minigame within a few matches, let alone 60 matches to get 20 wins.

CheM asked for feedback and that's my take. If you want people in PvP, make it enjoyable rather than requiring wins. If you get the reward regardless there's a better chance you'll be favourable towards PvP which is the response Venan want.

(Tbh I don't think there should be PvP quests at all, and I quite like PvP. Like someone said above, there's a lack of PvE content and the content we have - sans onslaught - is not what we want. The daily quests also need fixing, as they went from useless to useless).
Illy_the_Red

Postby Illy_the_Red » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Bbbb wrote:First, I have completed it on all toons. I'm of very mixed feelings on this one as a PvP hater. Do I hate it any more or less than the participation quest? Can't say. My toons were ranked lower than they should be (my doing) so I racked up wins quickly and I was using PvE builds. To balance it out, I am throwing matches now that I'm done to help others.

I do want to say that one player who hadn't played in many many months returned. He was 0-6 to start his PvP on this quest and may have packed it in....

That's a great point, actually - if the quest is wins, and someone who was disenfranchised by PvP before (in this example I'm assuming someone who pvp'd before) comes back, immediately starts losing and doesn't fancy grinding to 20 wins (if they get there at all), it's hardly an incentive to return to the game.
Illy_the_Red

Postby DreamingDæmon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Ilyana wrote:CheM asked for feedback and that's my take.

You're right. He did, I'd already given my thoughts, and had no right to argue against yours. My apologies.
DreamingDæmon

Postby Errör_Phåse404 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Just stop making pvp related weekly quests. It's just leads to frustration and disappointment from a majority of the community.
Errör_Phåse404

Postby My_Starlight » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Phåse404 wrote:Just stop making pvp related weekly quests. It's just leads to frustration and disappointment from a majority of the community.

I like this idea :twisted:
My_Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Latest News