Update 1.5.3 - January 31, 2013

A preview of the newest features and previous build notes.

Re: Patch 1.5.2 - PREVIEW

Postby japster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 am

Marney wrote:
Little_Mike wrote:[*]Monsters can now have passive abilities.

I'm all for buffing up monsters, as I've said many times, but I hope this idea has been tested very thoroughly. Passives haven't been around a very long time at all, and they still exhibit wonky (or downright buggy) behavior sometimes; if monsters get them the mechanics will be even less transparent. And now these passives, some still being ironed out in this very patch, are going to interact across three classes' worth of procs? Wow.

Well, I'll try to have faith, but I don't particularly want to play riposte-dodge-riposte-dodge ping-pong ball with some goblin thief...

Probably they'll fix the loop somewhere with the passives can't proc off passives rule...but you're right, passives are quite buggy right now even on its own...and when they interact it'll certainly be foreseeably buggy.

Man...Vile Mages with Snap Cast would be a total wild card. And can you imagine a Vile Behemoth with backswing? You thought you dodged that Overpower? Think again! ><
japster

Postby Marney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 am

Great, I'm gonna have nightmares about VGph2 now.
Marney

Postby Anechi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:27 am

TCG_japster wrote:
Happykillmore wrote:Fair enough. But me being an idiot and not understanding the char well does not mean nerfing a char is the best course of action. Thank you for your advice. You should know that I have all tier 12 gear with tier 4 gems and I am using the exact same build that Anechi is and since she is the best WM I think my build is not in question. I may be my spell rotation or really crappy RL luck. Either way I really hope they don't nerf the WM.

Thanks again for your advice.

No offense but Anechi is not the best WM. Many people are going to take offense at that...in truth there aren't any best WM really...

And that being said, I bet you are quaffing pots like crazy only because you either aren't buffing your defensive stats, or you aren't playing to avoid damage. Proper use of time void and icy grasp gives you unparalleled damage avoidance that the other 2 classes cannot afford.

You're just REALLY bad if you think you can get away by copying the skill and gem build of a high might mage, without thinking of how rotations really work. Ice mages were in need of a nerf to their utility. It was pretty obvious from the start of v1.5.

Nerfing is necessary even if you don't like it. Buffing the other 2 classes wouldn't solve the problem. The objective isn't just to ensure the classes are as equal as possible, but to maintain the necessary amount of challenge between players and monsters that the developers had envisioned. Ice mages, or mages specced heavily towards ice, were clearly tipping the balance in a direction unintended. Venan wanted monsters to be a challenge, and for people to actually focus on some defensive stats.

Seriously, an ice mage takes almost NO damage whatsoever if played right. That can't be right considering Venan wanted monsters to be challenging. Portal level 4: vile behemoth elite and a vile soldier? Who cares...Icy Grasp the elite, Ice Lance, Frozen Shard, Blizzard, Time Void, Frozen Shard, Icy Grasp again...oh wait...0 damage with so many stuns and slows! VG raid, phase 2, Vile Sky Serpent with Vile Soldier and Vile Mage? Blizzard, Time Void, Flaming Pyre/Icy Grasp, Ice Lance, Frozen Shard...oh wait...everything's dead...lol.

Your suggestion of buffing everyone, and then making monsters more powerful is just an extremely tiring and tedious process that isn't efficient. Instead of tweaking one class, you now want to tweak all classes as well as all monster difficulties? Gosh, we'll have to wait for next Christmas for this to happen lol.

As Japster said, i am really not a best WM out there. And I agree on everything what he said. It's all about how you play your toon. How you make your rotation. I still get hits when i only focus on killing and dont focus on their attacks. And I know many WM will be pissed coz i totally agree on nerfing warmages. All the fun fades away because it's like 1-hit party all the time.
Anechi

Postby japster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:31 am

LH_Anechi wrote:As Japster said, i am really not a best WM out there. And I agree on everything what he said. It's all about how you play your toon. How you make your rotation. I still get hits when i only focus on killing and dont focus on their attacks. And I know many WM will be pissed coz i totally agree on nerfing warmages. All the fun fades away because it's like 1-hit party all the time.

Amen brother. I stand by you that we do need to nerf mages, notably the ice skills. This patch has pointed balance in the right direction. I still think Fire needs a bit of help but I'm satisfied they fixed burning. I'm definitely going to give fire a new try once this patch rolls out and see if fire still needs help with burning being a definitive dps now!
japster

Postby Bj_Knows » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 am

Happykillmore wrote:please reconsider the proposed move in the WM and take a measured approach.

In v1.2 Justicars with Phoenix Armor *HEALED* from Poison/ Fire/ Ice Damage Over Time.
In v1.2.0 Shadow Walkers with Garrote rank 3 and Reflexive Strike rank 1-3 could Stun Lock most Bosses.
In v1.3 Shadow Walkers with Vanish rank 3 and Smoke Cloud rank 3 never bought Healing Potions.
In v1.5.1 Ice Mages with Deep Freeze rank p3, Minor Frost Runes, and Staffs can Stun Lock most Mobs and all Raid Bosses.

People want PvP and fixed Raids (regular and Onslaught), none of these can happen without balance. My Justicar, Shadow Walker and War Mage have all been Over Powered for months at a time (okay weeks for War Mage). Getting them balanced will be tricky.
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Postby Bj_Knows » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 am

Bj_DWR wrote:
Little_Mike wrote:Silenced users can no longer send mail.

Overview:
Guys, Play Nice
Everyone makes mistakes.
Nobody wants to punish anyone, please help the MMO dismiss your case.
Ask a neutral third party what you did wrong, not *if* you did something wrong.
If appropriate, issue a General Apology on the MMO's Forum.
In a MMO (or the Real World) circumventing a punishment, such as sending mail to the parties involved or creating a second account solely for contacting the parties involved, may have additional unforeseen consequences. https://www.venan.com/boh_forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1783
Volunteer- donating BLOOD to Red Cross, SWEAT to Forums.

Bj_Knows

AKA
GM= Things Guilds Were Not Meant to Know
Bj_DWR
BjKnows
Gryphonknight= Ingress, Pokemon, Empires & Puzzles (& Miikeeyy)
CEO of Bee jay Industries
Bj_the_SPOON
BjofCJandBj
Bj_Knows

Postby Abiox » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Magic_Rat_of_Eld wrote:
Abiox wrote:Reduced chance for Deep Freeze to apply Frozen from 5%/10%/15% to 3%/6%/9%. ???????
Char will get from bad to ...worst!

I think they had to nerf some mage because they overpowerd the class. Was bound to happen.

Mage OP?? I think is the worst char in game....
Abiox

Postby Swashbuckling_DrarrrrrrgonChick » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 pm

The mage is currently OP. Anyone with a high might mage who knows how to play them knows it. I'm enjoying it while it lasts ;-)
Swashbuckling_DrarrrrrrgonChick

Postby TCG_Happykillmore » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:24 pm

As I admitted I may be really bad. And I meant no offense in naming Anechi the best WM. However, I haven't seen any one else get close to her dmg. Besides, this game requires very little skill. This is not Halo or WoW. The point is that it makes no sense to nerf. I would like anyone who has plays other games describe how nerfing ever balanced out the game. It doesn't happen. So, rather than take away which is frustrating, I am simply asking to improve the other classes and give no benefit to WM.

There will always be a need for refinement but why not try a new approach. Just don't nerf. I know my idea is viewed as crazy and unorthodox but many good ideas throughout history were viewed as bad until it was shown to better. Copernicus, Magellan, Hippocrates, etc.

Anyway, it was kind of you to point out that I suck and I will have to work that hurt out with my therapist. :-) Even still I believe my idea of not nerfing has merit.
TCG_Happykillmore

Postby Romain » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Happykillmore wrote: I would like anyone who has plays other games describe how nerfing ever balanced out the game.

This is my first RPG but I did play Starcraft extensively and the reason it remained the top RTS for many, many years is because the 3 races where almost perfectly balanced. Now you look at the changelogs for Starcraft (or Starcraft 2 now) you will see that every single patch brought adjustments to try to get the game as balanced as possible. It is an iterative process and it takes years.
My SW used to kill at least one more wave than my mage in WoF onslaught with 2k might less, which was a clear balance problem. This got corrected, but now my mage is completely overpowered compared to my SW, so I understand the need for a nerf.
I just hope we could get one or two respec tokens after every patch that brings such changes.

Happykillmore wrote:Anyway, it was kind of you to point out that I suck and I will have to work that hurt out with my therapist. :-) Even still I believe my idea of not nerfing has merit.

I wouldn't go as far as saying you suck, as I've never seen you play. My statement is simply that, as pointed by Japster, the mage currently has deep freeze, ice lance, time void and icy grasp. You can choose to adapt your gameplay to kill as fast as possible and take damage, or to avoid damage but need more actions to kill. Other classes don't give you that much of a choice because they don't have that many skills to avoid damage.
Romain

PreviousNext

Return to Game Updates