Frost Knight

Want to know more about us or the inner workings of Book of Heroes? Check this out!

Re: Urgent

Postby Derp_looks_like_a_Lady » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 pm

JacynTaralax wrote:I need to speak with devs immediately

About Frost Knights?
Derp_looks_like_a_Lady
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Kenner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:23 pm

I have a question about the axe mastery skill.

At lvl 3 it increases axe damage by 25% and offhand damage by 150%. At first I was very happy to see that skills also gained power by using this ability instead of only basic attacks. So after a while I was testing some stuff and i noticed that my skill damage did NOT increase by 25% but rather by ~19%. The basic attack and devastate axe damage was however 25% more than without axe mastery.

I also think I know why the skill damage increase is 19% instead of 25%. Skill damage is made up from axe damage+75% melee/magic rating and offhand damage+25% melee/magic rating. The Damage distribution of axe/offhand is ~ 80/20 if they are both of the same timer. So my thought is that axe mastery only gives a 25% boost to the axe part of the total skill damage and not of the offhand part of the skill damage. this results in a lower damage increase than 25%.

Now since I know it is possible to give a damage increase on only the axe damage contribution my biggest question is why doesnt the offhand contribution get a 150% damage increase, it only Seems fair to me. Another option is to not only increase skill damage on the axe contribution but just increase total skill damage by 25%.
Kenner
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Jawarhello » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Not sure if this was brought up somewhere already but the Sever skill says it reduces the enemy's next attack but it is reducing damage for a duration, not just for one attack. Is this an error in the description or is the skill not working the way it should?
Jawarhello
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Urgent

Postby Bimbosigliere » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:13 am

REDACTED
Last edited by Bimbosigliere on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bimbosigliere
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Bbbb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Jawarhello wrote:Not sure if this was brought up somewhere already but the Sever skill says it reduces the enemy's next attack but it is reducing damage for a duration, not just for one attack. Is this an error in the description or is the skill not working the way it should?


I've noticed this as well. If it was just one attack, it would be a useless piece of junk.
Bbbb
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Kenner » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:40 am

Bbbb wrote:
Jawarhello wrote:Not sure if this was brought up somewhere already but the Sever skill says it reduces the enemy's next attack but it is reducing damage for a duration, not just for one attack. Is this an error in the description or is the skill not working the way it should?


I've noticed this as well. If it was just one attack, it would be a useless piece of junk.


I never took it in my build untill I noticed it reduces damage for 3 while seconds, also the damage reduction seems higher than 15% at lvl 3 but I still gotta do some tests to confirm.
Kenner
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby _Alien_ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:20 am

In my opinion and adding many people thoughts written in chat, Frost Knights do lack in pve perfomance compared to other classes:

1. They do not have a dodge increase skill like shadow walkers or flame wardens
2. They do not have a mob action stopping (Time Void) like mages and inquisitors
3. They do knot have a skill cast time reducer (name heroic will) like Justicars, or even (smoke bomb)
4. They do not have a mob knockback (must needed) like all other classes except for mages (who don't need it as they have time void and snap cast

I believe that from all skill brought from old classes to the new ones, frost knights would be benefit from having heroic will (lost in transaltion to the new classes) plus a mob knockback (or just make ice lance to knockback all enemies and not just one). This class is a health potion grinder.

If anyone thinks that I have a point to make this class better, please comment and we might make this class a better one at pve.
_Alien_
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 am

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Bbbb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Alienigen wrote: This class is a health potion grinder.


While I agree this class is underpowered, this one complaint isn't my experience. The way I play, it might use less health pots than either inq or FW.

The area that I think needs work is debuffs and DoTs. I'm expecting to find this class useless at OS (not there yet to test). My concerns are:

1. Cold can only be applied by one attack which has a long cast time. I've never stacked 3 on anyone to date. I think we need a Rend type ability to passive stack Cold.
2. The major two DoTs are applied on slow AOE attacks. From attacking harder bosses, I already feel it is impossible to get all the stacks going (Chill, Hypo, Cold and Bleed) going on once. I feel like even 3 may be very difficult.
Bbbb
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Saraa » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Bbbb wrote:
My concerns are:

1. Cold can only be applied by one attack which has a long cast time. I've never stacked 3 on anyone to date. I think we need a Rend type ability to passive stack Cold.
2. The major two DoTs are applied on slow AOE attacks. From attacking harder bosses, I already feel it is impossible to get all the stacks going (Chill, Hypo, Cold and Bleed) going on once. I feel like even 3 may be very difficult.


After running my 15k might FK(t14 weapons) through KFS OS with and without a speed elixir what B is saying has not been much of an issue. This, however, will eventually become a problem as this class enters P2 of LoB and P3 of TSR, where the resist rates of those bosses is rather high. A passive way to apply cold(similar to wrath) and to a much lesser degree the ice dot(could also make base cast time approx. 0.75 times normal weapon speed and that could fix the issue). This could be easily done by adding it to the ice mastery ability and scaling it per rank lvl.

In terms of power/damage output I haven't seen any real issue thus far. I've been averaging 18-21 kills per round in p2/3 of KFS with a speed elixir and 10-14 without one. With 3 stacks of cold and fury active Frost Blade will generally crit for 23-25k, shard for 15-16k and ice blast for 13-15k. The only real issue is the fact that going heavy magic makes slash and flurry not hit hard at all unless they happen to crit and even then the numbers are fairly underwhelming. If it was possible to have an option to select a magic/melee focus provided there was at least a 70/30 of 75/25 split in the amt of melee ot magic rating of the toon and giving a +20 or 25% damage bonus to the inferior ability, that could help but then again it could also possibly make the FK incredibly OP at OS.

As a final aside, while I've not done more than piddle around with a primarily melee based ability set of OS I have noticed that it is far more inconsistent than its primarily magic based counterpart, for the simple fact that once cold is stacked to 3, you are reliably and consistently hitting strongly. For every melee atk that doesn't crit, it's like hitting with a wet noodle, even with fury active, and that is the gamble you take going primarily melee. My sugfestion, for OS, is to go heavy magic and I think you'll find, at least with KFS, that you won't be disappointed.

If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to PM me on the forums or in game, thanks!
Saraa
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Re: Frost Knight

Postby Illy_the_Red » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi_Im_Sara wrote:
Bbbb wrote:
My concerns are:

1. Cold can only be applied by one attack which has a long cast time. I've never stacked 3 on anyone to date. I think we need a Rend type ability to passive stack Cold.
2. The major two DoTs are applied on slow AOE attacks. From attacking harder bosses, I already feel it is impossible to get all the stacks going (Chill, Hypo, Cold and Bleed) going on once. I feel like even 3 may be very difficult.


After running my 15k might FK(t14 weapons) through KFS OS with and without a speed elixir what B is saying has not been much of an issue. This, however, will eventually become a problem as this class enters P2 of LoB and P3 of TSR, where the resist rates of those bosses is rather high. A passive way to apply cold(similar to wrath) and to a much lesser degree the ice dot(could also make base cast time approx. 0.75 times normal weapon speed and that could fix the issue). This could be easily done by adding it to the ice mastery ability and scaling it per rank lvl.

In terms of power/damage output I haven't seen any real issue thus far. I've been averaging 18-21 kills per round in p2/3 of KFS with a speed elixir and 10-14 without one. With 3 stacks of cold and fury active Frost Blade will generally crit for 23-25k, shard for 15-16k and ice blast for 13-15k. The only real issue is the fact that going heavy magic makes slash and flurry not hit hard at all unless they happen to crit and even then the numbers are fairly underwhelming. If it was possible to have an option to select a magic/melee focus provided there was at least a 70/30 of 75/25 split in the amt of melee ot magic rating of the toon and giving a +20 or 25% damage bonus to the inferior ability, that could help but then again it could also possibly make the FK incredibly OP at OS.

As a final aside, while I've not done more than piddle around with a primarily melee based ability set of OS I have noticed that it is far more inconsistent than its primarily magic based counterpart, for the simple fact that once cold is stacked to 3, you are reliably and consistently hitting strongly. For every melee atk that doesn't crit, it's like hitting with a wet noodle, even with fury active, and that is the gamble you take going primarily melee. My sugfestion, for OS, is to go heavy magic and I think you'll find, at least with KFS, that you won't be disappointed.

If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to PM me on the forums or in game, thanks!


I'd agree with this. Venan are generally pushing Magic builds at the top end, so anyone building a FK should plan to go all magic. I can't see a physical setup working at high mights so just save yourself future pain. Bleed is ok but its damage is based on a 1H weapon and therefore won't have the same kick it does for Justicars.

It definitely needs a way to passively apply Cold and Hypo. It is definitely capable of being better, just needs a few tweaks.
Illy_the_Red
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Blog

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests