To Venan: Why Players Hate Halloween

What would you like to see in future updates?

To Venan: Why Players Hate Halloween

Postby Bbbb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 am

This event has been so terrible that I only attempted it one year (2014) out of three only on one toon and gave up then in disgust. I have only talked to one person who didn't outright hate the Halloween event and I think that person was trolling. The reasons:

1. The upfront purchase of the Pumpkin Basket or the whole event is completely hopeless.
2. But the event is hopeless anyway. I have calculated before. If I paid for the basket, didn't sleep, didn't work, and hit every event optimally even with max e regen enchants, I couldn't buy the top item without extra GS. The math has been bad every year.
3. It badly discriminates against lower e players since the rewards scale up based on the amount of e used.
4. It badly discriminates against players who can't schedule their life so that they can be on for a whole hour exactly when Venan says you should. The rest of the timed events you can still get 80% of the rewards if you can just dump your e in the right time frame with having to be on the whole time. I'm not running the numbers, but with this event, you get less than 50%.

Without completely throwing out the event (my personal opinion), what can you all do? The biggest are to play with the numbers so they make sense and reduce the drop scaling between the incursion portal levels.

Also, I know you are going to release another T21 piece. May I suggest it be Cloak, Boots or Gloves. I'm fearful you are going to do T21 Weapon. That will get enormous backlash for two reasons. First, the hate towards this event because it has always been completely unfarmable especially if you have any kind of lif.. Second, even though I am not a fan of PvP, I realize that a T21 event weapon with no regularly farmable T20 will completely unbalance the PvP world. The same could be said about OS raids too.
Bbbb

Re: To Venan: Why Players Hate Halloween

Postby Kenner » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:31 am

A T21 weapon is exactly what toons at lvl 40 need because of the enemy scaling. I do agree that Halloween is a horribly event though
Kenner

Postby MrRaabla » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:41 am

Luckily you aren't required to participate in any event, if you choose not to, for whatever reason.
MrRaabla

Postby Illy_the_Red » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:59 am

Well put B4. I've highlighted for the last couple of years how bad the Halloween event is. To have the strongest dissent so far be 'you don't have to do it' is encouraging (not sure why this straw man is always put up, it's not like it actually defends or justifies Venan's choices in any way).

If it's a weapon, it needs to be obtainable by everyone without having to throw cash at it. This was apparently no problem for the T21 necklace. I'm not sure why you didn't think the WereChef necklace worked, but it did. Loads of happy players got it and you apparently decided we weren't happy with that. It's time to start really listening to players: the WereChef T21 craft was good, the Pirate T21 craft is insane.

It would be a shame for Halloween to spiral even further into cash grab territory right on the back of the poor choices regarding the T21 ring. If you want a 'craftable' piece of gear, just select something that we have to visit multiple zones for, maybe tied to a cryptic quest of some kind. One of the most interesting quests was the Amulet of Ironhaven. It required actually completing content, collecting clues, and then finally seeing a reward. This type of quest is a lot better than the 'let's just get really grindy' Amulet of Creation and Karnak/Eternity ring, and light years ahead of 'meh, just make it cost 5 diamond gravers, that'll teach them!'
Illy_the_Red

Postby Derp_looks_like_a_Lady » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 pm

At least make the incursion portal spawn every hour or let us park toons in the portal for when it comes round next time.
Last edited by Derp_looks_like_a_Lady on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derp_looks_like_a_Lady

Postby MrRaabla » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm sorry Illy. I hadn't realized any attempt at personal optimism was inappropriate here. My bad....
MrRaabla

Postby Illy_the_Red » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:44 pm

MrRaabla wrote:I'm sorry Illy. I hadn't realized any attempt at personal optimism was inappropriate here. My bad....

:) not that it really qualifies as optimistic...
Illy_the_Red

Postby MrRaabla » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Now I'm not optimistic enough? I can't win. Arrrgh....
MrRaabla

Postby Bimbosigliere » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:04 pm

REDACTED
Last edited by Bimbosigliere on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bimbosigliere

Postby Gary_ » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:08 pm

+1 apples are off. Snickers, Reese Cups, Mika Way.....
Gary_

Next

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions