June 23, 2012 - Raid Thoughts

Want to know more about us or the inner workings of Book of Heroes? Check this out!

Re: June 23, 2012 - Raid Thoughts

Postby Marney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 am

Lord_Venan wrote:RPP award system is annoying

Also, please fix any glitches that kick characters out of the raid when the player switches characters, or closes the app, without intentionally leaving the raid. I don't usually have a problem if I leave an enemy alive, but it has happened a time or two.

Lord_Venan wrote:PvP is for the devil

I find it funny that I seem to be pretty much the only one who doesn't mind the idea of PvP, because I've been terrible at it in every game I've ever played. I just think it would be really interesting with the BoH combat model; there's tremendous potential here.

Lord_Venan wrote:Pop-in/Pop-out is good

Glad that there isn't much debate on this issue :) I like it when things are straightforward.

Well, I never liked it, but I'm contrary by nature. ;) It seems lazy and mechanical to me, requiring minimal player involvement. Now in my opinion, that's a bad thing; when you play a game, you should have to give it at least a little bit of attention, not merely go through the motions. I can dump all my energy into anything (at least up to the Cursed Keep), by repeating the same 4 taps (Smoke Bomb, Vanish, Poison Cloud, Continue) a couple of dozen times in a few minutes, then I'd go off and do something else for an hour and change. That's not exactly gripping gameplay.

PS. Beebs brings up some additional points which I agree with entirely. Also, I was wrong about the average max energy people have; he was right.

Postby Lord_Venan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Marney wrote:Well, I never liked it, but I'm contrary by nature. ;) It seems lazy and mechanical to me, requiring minimal player involvement.

By pop-in, pop-out I'm referring to whether or not we add coordination mechanics into raiding, not the current way you spend your energy in combat. The opinion seems to be that requiring more coordination would be hard to organize.

Postby Marney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Right, that's what I meant too. I'm in favor of raids that are both shorter and require more coordination; I expect the organizational difficulties would balance out.

Postby Huntypewpew » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am

Is it possible to look at seperate raid/pvp gear like the WOW model so that people who want it can do it, but those that don't don't lose anything by it. By this I mean your raid gear bonuses are tweaked toward pve whereas you pvp gear may have bonuses for pvp that are useless for raiding

Postby Peter34_merc » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:46 pm

First of all, I'm glad that you seem to agree with the specific suggestion I posted some days ago, that will making raid success be more about character skill and less about how many people you can get to grind it. I hope you implement it, because I think it'll be good.

Secondly, I'm very glad that you are aware that the current raid design is deeply flawed and that you will try to improve it. I had been wondering whether I should take a long break, of several months or even half a year, from BoH, and then come back to see if you've fixed things, but your admittance that the current design is flawed will make me stay, since I like the guild I'm in, and since I find other aspects of the game to be fairly interesting.
Peter Knutsen

Postby Scagnetti » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:04 pm

This was just brought up in my guilds chat after a long failed attempt at the overseer. A member suggested that might should factor into the length of the round. Uncertain of exactly what he meant this is what I got from it.

As of now a persons might doesn't mean anything once they get into a raid. Lets use overseer as an example, it takes 1000 might to join so in the raid you will have people ranging from 1000 might to 8000 might. Now a person with 1000 might and a person with 8000 might will both spend 2 energy and go into a fight. Both will win and both will progress the raid an equal amount. This should not be, the person with the higher might should progress the raid faster then a person with the minimum amount of might. This should definitely be the case for the Boss part of the fight since you are basically all attacking the same mob and the person with the highest might would be doing the most damage/energy.

Postby Ansgard » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:23 am

Markonian wrote: On a side-note, I hope the game NEVER goes Player vs. Player! Too many other games already have that, and it can lead to a very negative experience for many. That is one of the Major Reasons I like the game so much: it's Us vs. The Monsters. Keep this dynamic strong!

I tend to love pvp. You can see yourself progress through the game and continually get stronger. However, I see the point in "Us vs. monsters" and I agree I like the idea. Instead of viewing the "arena" (the name of a place I use to refer to pvp matches) as a player vs player, frame it as training with each other to become stronger. After all, competition brings out the best in people. I know this is off the subject and still distant, but I wanted to bring it up.
On a different subject, I'm sure you already have plans for future chapters, but a 'Dark World' is a classic addition to any fantasy game. Not to mention, there's only a few areas left for zones in the world map. That wasn't the best way to phrase my idea, but I think you get the point. :P

Postby Musketeer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:34 pm

I was Guildmaster when my guild was running Helion twice a day for the challenge. I have 3 characters. For about a week I did almost nothing but fight Helion during my waking hours. I felt obliged to, as Guildmaster. I never want to do that again. Ever. I passed the job on after that.

People with just one character are still crying out for Helion raids, as they give great SV rewards. They fail to see that the rewards are scaled to the input required, and two or three shorter raids in the same time are easier to complete. These Helion raids now fail at times because few people want to pop in and out over a six hour period. However a 24 hour raid would be kinda fun, because everyone in the Guild could get involved, but nobody would be expected to raid for 24 hours straight.

As for coordination, that's what the server clock is for. We never have a problem organising when a raid will occur, but turnout does drop off at weekends, especially for the middle of the day raids. Even 2 hour raid for a top 5 guild will fail if people have real life stuff to do.

Postby Ansgard » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 am

One more note: 24 hour raids are not a bad idea. I'm a guild master also and I too feel obliged to be there the entire 6hr Overseer raid. 24 hours, as stated above, would be fun and no one expects you to stay all 24 hours!

Postby Biomom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:24 pm

I think it is a great idea to have might factor into raids although I would still like to see younger/less mighty guild members be able to contribute & stay encouraged. The strength and wide appeal of this game lies, I believe in its cooperative nature. PvP as an option might be good although I wouldn't really be interested in it...I much prefer to work together with others. Perhaps there could be some sort of field training where you do training battles with other players to help get ready for fighting bad guys. Kind of like sparring or practice instead of really trying to wound or kill another player. This would be in keeping with the spirit of the game while maybe satisfying those who want PvP.

Return to Dev Blog