Mod Appreciation Day

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Mod Appreciation Day

Postby Derrin_Watson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 am

As many of us today are wearing green in celebration of St. Patrick's Day, I wanted to take a moment to thank the players who wear green (text) all year long, our faithful and hard working mods. (No, that doesn't describe quite all of them, but it does describe many.)

Mods do so much to make this an inviting game to play. They endlessly answer questions. Sometimes, they can't raid because they are being deluged by questions. I know some players disagree with the chat standards. I, for one, very much appreciate them and the role they play in this community, and I appreciate the mods who take so much unwarranted grief and anger as they enforce the rules.

It does not seem to matter who is running the game on the developer side. When there is a problem, you almost never see developers in public chat addressing it. That thankless task of being cannon fodder for the disgruntled goes to the mods.

The line "you don't pay me enough for this" applies doubly for mods, because theirs is a volunteer position. From my association with Amy over the last four years, I know how much time she puts into her work as a mod, and she is not alone. To all of our hard working mods, thank you for all this, and much more.
Derrin_Watson

Re: Mod Appreciation Day

Postby AmyLoo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 am

+1 (ok so I'm biased)
AmyLoo

Postby Bj_Knows » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 am

Derrin_Watson wrote:
From my association with Amy over the last four years, I know how much time she puts into her work as a mod

I could not agree with this sentiment more Derrin. I am glad the Devs also agree about Amy (reposting here):

Bj_Knows wrote:Dear Devs,

Thank you for including the Elemental axe of banning, a lovingly, thoughtful, perfectly crafted prestige item.

There is a long history of showing love for the creative arts. The most common love letters are Fan Art:

https://www.venan.com/boh_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6170

Even little kids can draw pictures of their heroes and their spectacular feats.

Older fans will often turn to writing:

https://www.venan.com/boh_forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5114

Fan fiction, poems, screen plays, and other written works can show a fan’s love of the creative work.

Coming full circle, the Devs can include homages to some of their favorite creative work, and fan’s reaction to their current and past works:

https://www.venan.com/boh_forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4319

Sparking excitement as fan discover shared creative interests and loves.

On a related note, players will often pay $16,000 USD, and up, for a unique, or nearly unique item:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2079095/Chinese-man-spends-16-000-sword-virtual-martial-arts-game.html

Part of it is “Look at me”, but most of it a reflection of the love for the creative work. You do not invest $16K into something you are disinterested in.

The Elemental axe of banning is funny, cool looking, and unique. But it barely replays Amy for the impact she has had on the chat channels and BoH mail. It *may* be an adequate reward for the time Amy, and Derrin, have put into nurturing guild members and mercs in HJ raids.

The only thing I would change, with this near perfect item, is making it visible in all wardrobes with the price tag of “Amy’s Priceless Contribution to BoH’s Community”. Amy has shared her love of BoH with so many of us, and you have returned the incredible love with this lovingly, thoughtful, perfectly crafted prestige item. It is too bad so few in BoH will ever see this eternal love letter.
Bj_Knows

Postby Gary_ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks Derrin
Gary_

Postby DoyleDD » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 am

Thank you Derrin :)
DoyleDD

Postby MrRaabla » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Derrin, that was very kind of you. Thank you :mrgreen: