Open Letter to Lord Venan; Lucky event

Have something to say about Book of Heroes? Post it here!

Open Letter to Lord Venan; Lucky event

Postby Derrin_Watson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 am

Lord Venan,

We have seen for ourselves in the last few months your determination to get things right and willingness to innovate. I appreciate both. Innovations sometimes work well and sometimes require modification. Fortunately you have shown the willingness to make those modifications (even over a weekend).

Fortunately, there are few modifications that need to be made to the upcoming Lucky event. The mechanic of having him appear in raids works well. The rewards and gear are good, although another t21 item would be welcome.

But there is one change that is desperately needed. Players have asked for this for years and it has been repeatedly lost in the shuffle.

This is the only event without a store. The only way to get the gear is through a lockbox or cash purchases. There is no way to accumulate sufficient shamrocks to guarantee you will be able to acquire the items you want.

This element has taken what is otherwise a very enjoyable event for most of us and made it breeding ground for discontented players. The complaints of greed are loud and long and ugly. Those complaints come not from those unwilling to do what is needed to earn the rewards. They come loudest and longest from players who worked hard and were disappointed that hundreds of lockbox pulls didn't yield their desired items. They would much rather save their shamrocks and get what they want.

Lord Venan, please add an event store to the Lucky event so we can be sure if we do the work we will receive the rewards of that work.
Derrin_Watson

Re: Open Letter to Lord Venan; Lucky event

Postby Illy_the_Red » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 am

Couldn't agree more. This event has badly needed an overhaul to take it away from a cash-only situation and bring it into line with the other events. It looks much more likely that it can be got right with the excellent response to the TVal issues.
Illy_the_Red

Postby vlad_the_impaler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:11 am

I thought you could buy the stuff with gs which you may or may not get from the lockboxes?
vlad_the_impaler

Postby Sàlád_ » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:48 am

I've done lucky every year as much as possible and never got a kilt
Sàlád_

Postby AmyLoo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:10 am

Yes Vlad, GS purchase or lucky lockbox pull only. No buying with event currency.

I for one would spend more trying for top gear on multiple toons if I knew that I would get the item for all the work. Spending event currency on lockboxes only is only fun for the fortunate few lockbox winners. Making it luck or spend GS only, I'm forced to choose among toons and just buy, or farm a lot and hope I get something. Then there's the third choice, don't burn or spend at all during the event. That's the way I lean during Lucky.

Also in my opinion the same players who will buy without hesitation when it's a GS-only deal, are still going to just buy it if given the option of farming. Different people play and spend their own way, and I don't think adding an event currency option will cost Venan those GS only sales.
AmyLoo

Postby Bbbb » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 am

I would also recommend that Venan form a player review committee of a handful of long time players. Have them under NDA. Then run by the events and the associated math by this committee. I'm not saying this will eliminate all event design mistakes but would reduce them. Already, the TV 2016 event was saved because the players asked CheM enough questions in advance and then I crunched the numbers and showed that a 20% gem reduction was a disaster. You all fixed it in advance. This year the players would have definitely spotted the camper issue we had. I have to believe that other issues would have been caught in other events in the past as well (e.g. the Shamrock issue in the first Lucky event).

As for who, all the names above would be good choices. Saraa is another name that instantly comes to mind as she is one of the smartest players in the game.

About Lucky, I agree with the others. I never got the top level Kilt through the lockbox. I've gotten the lower one meaning it was only a wardrobe option.
Bbbb

Postby Kenner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 am

Lol i already hoarded 280 gs since the start of 2017 in anticipation of t21 gear only available for gs. Gonna make tons of silver to alchemist box them into the required ammount of gs (guessing 400 with comm 3 elixer would suffice) to get that t21 pants/chest i hope
Kenner

Postby InsertNameHere » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm not much of a raider, and I'm not in a guild.
So... Lucky only being in raids makes it kinda a non-starter for me. Like double essence, Lucky sees many guilds shutting their doors to mercs, or at least that's been the case historically. Any chance we could see him appear like Holigob in both raids and infinite zones? Pretty please? Otherwise it's gonna be publics / Squire raids which is utterly pointless and anyone in a similar situation will probably just not bother.

I don't actually know how common my situation is. I meet a few in PvP, but by our very nature, anti-social hermits who don't want to even join a guild don't tend to talk to other players much. If the data shows that there's only a handful of us, then I guess my point's moot as it wouldn't be worth the time to implement.
InsertNameHere

Postby Illy_the_Red » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:18 am

ItsAGameNotALifestyleChoice wrote:I'm not much of a raider, and I'm not in a guild.
So... Lucky only being in raids makes it kinda a non-starter for me. Like double essence, Lucky sees many guilds shutting their doors to mercs, or at least that's been the case historically. Any chance we could see him appear like Holigob in both raids and infinite zones? Pretty please? Otherwise it's gonna be publics / Squire raids which is utterly pointless and anyone in a similar situation will probably just not bother.

I don't actually know how common my situation is. I meet a few in PvP, but by our very nature, anti-social hermits who don't want to even join a guild don't tend to talk to other players much. If the data shows that there's only a handful of us, then I guess my point's moot as it wouldn't be worth the time to implement.

Before event -> join guild.
Do event.
After event -> leave guild.

I don't think they're going to tweak an event just because some folk for some reason won't click 'join' on a guild. Understand it's their choice but it's so easily rectified. The real problems with Lucky are the ones in the opening posts, it's been a cash grab for too long.
Illy_the_Red

Postby InsertNameHere » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 am

Illy_the_Red wrote:
ItsAGameNotALifestyleChoice wrote:
(blah blah removed for brevity)

Any chance we could see him appear like Holigob in both raids and infinite zones? Pretty please?

(blah blah removed for brevity)

If the data shows that there's only a handful of us, then I guess my point's moot as it wouldn't be worth the time to implement.

Before event -> join guild.
Do event.
After event -> leave guild.

I don't think they're going to tweak an event just because some folk for some reason won't click 'join' on a guild. Understand it's their choice but it's so easily rectified. The real problems with Lucky are the ones in the opening posts, it's been a cash grab for too long.

I'd prefer not to. Guild BS was a major factor in quitting previously for a year or so. I've temporarily joined a few guilds on a per-raid basis since restarting, but my Loyalty is still lvl 1 so that shows how attractive that is.
Point taken that changing an event to make it more accessible to a probably-small number of players is unlikely - as I conceded in closing above. However, the mechanics exist (Holigob) so if the data showed there are sufficient people not invested in guilds /raiding, it would have been nice.
InsertNameHere

Next

Return to Discussions