Server Maintenance - September 13, 2013

A preview of the newest features and previous build notes.

Re: Server Maintenance - September 13, 2013

Postby Spriher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:21 pm

How does this only favour SW? Justi have a combo that can take a big chunk off your health before you get a hit in and you're telling me that this isn't good for them?

Health is reduced, dmg is same. SW is the only class that doesnt rely on dot so much, its primarily used as a slow, dmg is just a bonus. Yes Justi can still use his heroic combo but he still relies on dots which he has less time to apply now and since matches should be shorter, 2nd usage of heroic will might be hard to accomplish.

WM relies on dots just as well as justicar and has the hardest time stacking them on the target of all 3 classes. Hence shorter matches with less health hurt WM the most.

This is just my perspective how the health nerf further buffed SW. I didnt even mention that with less time, riposte just become much stronger and piercing crits just as strong, only this time it takes away 1/4 of your health (at my might level) and you are left with less time to make up the dmg with dots and mediocre dmg of your own.

Basically, with the health change, crit become so much stronger now and we all know which class crits the most.
Spriher

Postby Sokpuppet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm

I hate to come off as a jerk but out of all these complaints the only thing responded to was regarding 2.0. Why not address what this thread is actually about?
Sokpuppet

Postby BaneFirerises » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Spriher wrote:
How does this only favour SW? Justi have a combo that can take a big chunk off your health before you get a hit in and you're telling me that this isn't good for them?

Health is reduced, dmg is same. SW is the only class that doesnt rely on dot so much, its primarily used as a slow, dmg is just a bonus. Yes Justi can still use his heroic combo but he still relies on dots which he has less time to apply now and since matches should be shorter, 2nd usage of heroic will might be hard to accomplish.

No class can stack dot faster then justi, you get hit by wound and there is a chance that bleed can go straight to level 2 coz of rend. In most fights involving justi bleed is nearly always at level 3.

My problem with health being so high is that fights take too long to finish and so it gets boring.

Anyways the devs did say that balance issues were gonna get address over the coming weeks.
BaneFirerises

Postby Kiabella » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:03 pm

So I realize I'm probably an anomaly, but leveled via PvP, and am now stuck with never ending queus. Seems the new matching system can't find anyone to match with a 30 WM with only 4k might. Up until this patch, I had participated in nearly 1,500 matches. Too bad I can't even get 1 now. This sucks.

Edit: So thanks to Pomstar, I got to fight...5 fights against this same dude. He won one more than me, and I feel it is because how much harder it is for a WM to land triple dots in a timely fashion. The hp going down is stupid, considering how many folks were already complaining about how tough WM have it.
Last edited by Kiabella on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiabella

Postby Spriher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 pm

BaneFirerises wrote:
Spriher wrote:

No class can stack dot faster then justi, you get hit by wound and there is a chance that bleed can go straight to level 2 coz of rend. In most fights involving justi bleed is nearly always at level 3.

My problem with health being so high is that fights take too long to finish and so it gets boring.

Anyways the devs did say that balance issues were gonna get address over the coming weeks.

Actually SW can do it faster. Clatrops and bang, his dots are up, doing dmg, slowing you and reducing dodge. All in 1 short cast. Pretty stupid if you ask me but thats another issue. Yeah Justi can apply dots easier than WM, but shorter fight still means his dots will do less dmg.

About big health making fights boring. Well at least we had more time to try to outsmart and "outtime" the opponent. Ive just beaten someone (not afker) in 8 actions. Had some luck with stun procs and incinerate crit but I am sure my opponent wasnt thrilled about it and might even call it boring when he dies so fast.
Spriher

Postby Mungbean » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:43 pm

The newly lowered health sucks. It has mostly broken PvP. As a Mage I went from winning most of my fights to losing six straight matches. Being dot dependent, the matches are way too short. In all but one fight, I was dead before I could even get my third dot applied.
Mungbean

Postby BaneFirerises » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Spriher wrote:Actually SW can do it faster. Clatrops and bang, his dots are up, doing dmg, slowing you and reducing dodge. All in 1 short cast. Pretty stupid if you ask me but thats another issue. Yeah Justi can apply dots easier than WM, but shorter fight still means his dots will do less dmg.

About big health making fights boring. Well at least we had more time to try to outsmart and "outtime" the opponent. Ive just beaten someone (not afker) in 8 actions. Had some luck with stun procs and incinerate crit but I am sure my opponent wasnt thrilled about it and might even call it boring when he dies so fast.

Caltrop doesn't stack it's just 1 level but bleed had 3 levels so it's different. If you're gonna compare bleed to anything it's poison because they both stack the same way although they do different things.

How many fights have you had against people with 40k+ health? If its a lot then fine but if not then you don't really know what I'm talking about when I say it's boring.

I have another toon, a justi around the 14k might range with 27k health pre-update and I think that's a good range for health to be. The fights are long enough for strategy to play a part but not so long that it gets boring.
BaneFirerises

Postby Kiabella » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Designing PvP so that it is only viable for the very upper echelons of the player population (I.e.14k might) seems stupid. It will ruin it for every one else, driving any new prospects Venan may have acquired away quick. No one that really enjoys player vs. player is going to stick around for endless hours of PvE before they can participate in the action.
Kiabella

Postby Saint_Kai » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Yup, this was pretty much a "screw you" to war mages, and to people who run into spotty lag issues. They may as well be telling people not to pvp. Shadow Walkers can take off half your life easy with their combo. Justicars, well, we all know how nasty their combo can get. With the reduction in health, by the time a War Mage can start dishing damage, they have less than half life, while their opponent is still fairly strong.

As an example, I fought a Shadow Walker with 14k health. Due to the high crit rate and high dodge they have, I dropped from 21k health to 10k by the time their opening volley was done. By the time his cooldowns were back up (which helps that smoke bomb reduces cooldowns, and thus ensnare is always back up before Icy Grasp, even if I use it first!), I was left near death. There was no coming back from that.

In another fight, I got a freeze proc and two snap cast procs, and that pretty much ended that fight. So, if all the stars align with the planets, and a fly sneezes on the island of guam while a koala kills a grizzly bear and 3 billion people suddenly turn west and do the macarena, then War Mage has a chance.

But both examples show that pvp is little more than a coin toss now. There is even less skill required. The whole idea behind pvp, is to show who is better... not who is luckier. More life allows skill to smooth out the batches of luck, and bring balance. After all, over time, both players will probably get roughly the same amount of luck. But in a burst match lasting 2 minutes, one player's surge of luck can easily determine the match.

Venan defeated the purpose of pvp in one fell swoop. Brilliant.

Even if this change was ultimately needed, it was a really bad time to roll it out. They should have waited until the classes were more balanced. I can't fathom why they needed this pushed out as a priority, when they could have waited. They aren't talking to us, though, or listening to their players.

At this point, if there is no further communications, and no back fixes, I'll probably quit the game. I was holding out some hope, and even though some of my friends have already left due to the pvp issues, I hadn't been too inclined to join them. I just think the lack of communication is the real killer.
Saint_Kai

Postby Spriher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 pm

BaneFirerises wrote:
Spriher wrote:Actually SW can do it faster. Clatrops and bang, his dots are up, doing dmg, slowing you and reducing dodge. All in 1 short cast. Pretty stupid if you ask me but thats another issue. Yeah Justi can apply dots easier than WM, but shorter fight still means his dots will do less dmg.

Caltrop doesn't stack it's just 1 level but bleed had 3 levels so it's different. If you're gonna compare bleed to anything it's poison because they both stack the same way although they do different things.

How many fights have you had against people with 40k+ health? If its a lot then fine but if not then you don't really know what I'm talking about when I say it's boring.

I have another toon, a justi around the 14k might range with 27k health pre-update and I think that's a good range for health to be. The fights are long enough for strategy to play a part but not so long that it gets boring.

And thats the thing. Caltrops dont stack, its just a single 100% application (apart from ressist) that does same dmg as 3 stacks of ignite with fully talented fire talents, each of which has 75% chance to be applied. On top of all that, caltrops slow same as WM 2 ice debuffs and lower dodge. If there's not enough, they dont even break stun on application. So yeah 1 cast 3 talent point caltrops do the same thing as 3 stacks of my fire dot for which i spent 9 talent points (6 of those increase dmg and crit chance) in fire and 3 more in frost talent for additional slow.

But I really dont want to talk about caltrops here however stupidly strong that skill is and became even stronger. Its true I havent had a chance to fight people with 40k health. I was sporting 30k myself and was barely outlasting SWs and. Now, as my WM colleague Saint_Kai said, if the starts align WM wins.
Spriher

PreviousNext

Return to Game Updates